The Cabildo — Here the transfer of the Province of Louisiana from France to the United States occurred December 20, 1803. The old Spanish Court buildings. Opposite Jackson Square.
St. Louis Cathedral — One of the earliest Roman Cathohc churches in Louisiana; several times burned and present building erected in 1794.
Louisiana State Museum — Cabildo, Chartres and St. Ann. An interesting exhibition of the natural products and manufactures of the State.
French Market — Here may be obtained fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, game, etc., in wonderful variety. One of the world's famous market places, occupying four city blocks.
Oyster Lugger Landing — To this river landing come the luggers bearing oysters from the many lakes of the lower coast, the most succulent oysters in America.
United States Mint — Esplanade Avenue and Decatur Street. A good quantity of the silver and fractional currency of the country was minted here. This mint is now unused.
Beauregard's Home — Chartres Street, between Ursuline and Barracks, opposite Archbishopric. Once the home of the noted Confederate general.
Archbishopric — Erected in 1727 for the Ursuline Nuns, nine years after the founding of New Orleans.
New Courthouse — Of white marble. Royal, Chartres, Conti, St. Louis. Three blocks below Canal Street. Cost $2,000,000.
French Opera House — Bourbon and Toulouse Streets, five blocks below Canal Street. Some of the most noted singers and troupes of the world have appeared here. Adelina Patti made her American debut on its stage.
Old St. Louis Cemetery — On Basin, three blocks below Canal Street. Oldest cemetery in the city. Many of the Spanish and French colonists, some of royal blood, are buried there.
St. Roch's Cemeterty is especially dear to the Creole Catholics, who make pilgrimages to the shrine to pray for things desired.
Old Absinthe House — Bourbon and Bienville Streets, two blocks below Canal Street. Famous as the one-time headquarters of the famous pirate Lafitte.
O'Reilly's Headquarters — Where the bloodthirsty Spanish Captain General lived in 1769. St. Claude and Hospital Streets.
The Delgado Museum of Art
No feature of New Orleans will appeal more strongly to the visitor of aesthetic tastes than the Delgado Museum and its treasury of paintings, sculpture and applied arts. This handsome structure of classic beauty stands in the City Park and is reached by a superb avenue of Palms. Mounting a broad terrace, the visitor enters a central statuary hall of admirable proportions. To the left a large room is set apart for the collection of pictures, ceramics and furniture that were bequeathed to the museum by the late Isaac Delgado, to whose munificence the city owes the museum building and forms the nucleus for a permanent collection.
The first acquisition of signal importance was a group of jades and other semi-precious stones bequeathed to the institution by the late Morgan Whitney and which constitute one of the finest collections of such work in America.
Then came the Hyams Collection of paintings and objects of Art which at once became the central feature of the museum's treasures. These works were given by the late Mrs. Chapman H. Hyams and are shown in a room especially designed and decorated to receive them. Corot, Diaz, Schreyer, Harpignies, Bonheur. Bouguereau, Ziem, Alma Tadema and many other famous Artists are represented in the collection which is worthy of any museum, and which so eloquently attests Mrs. Hyams' fine taste and careful selection.
Another gift of importance was the Lacosst collection of Marble, Wood and Bronze.
The Museum has been the recipient of many donations from individuals and from leading art clubs of the City, and throughout the year one will find in its galleries loan collections and special exhibitions that keep the display ever varied and interesting. At present there are shown superb works from the collections of Mrs. George Q. Whitney and of Mr. J. K. Newman of New Orleans.
Spanish Fort — A small village with pleasant gardens, situated on Lake Pontchartrain, at the mouth of Bayou St. John, where General Jackson landed in 1814. This historic place is reached by double-tracked trolley line from Canal and Rampart Streets, or may be reached by walking, driving or motor-boat. One may alight from the Esplanade Belt cars at the bridge where it crosses Bayou St. John, follow the white shell road along the clear winding stream and enjoy a glimpse of Holland, for the wide flats and the sails of the oyster luggers form a pretty picture as they move in and out with the tortuous stream.
Chalmette Cemetery is located near the old historic battlefield where the Battle of New Orleans was fought between the British and American forces on January 8, 1815. The Dauphine car will take passengers within a short distance of the entrance. This is a national cemetery tastefully laid out and beautifully kept.
Metairie Cemetery is the handsomest in the city. It contains many beautiful monuments, among which may be mentioned those of General Albert Sidney Johnston and General Stonewall Jackson, also the tombs of the Army of Northern Virginia and the army of Tennessee. In the vicinity of Metairie are Greenwood, Odd Fellows' Rest, Firemen's and others.
Tulane University — St. Charles Avenue, opposite Audubon Park.
H. Sophie Newcomb College — Washington Avenue, Camp, Chestnut and Sixth Streets. It is here the celebrated Newcomb Art Pottery is made.
Lee Circle— Where St. Charles Street and St. Charles and Howard Avenues join. On a grassy mound stands a colossal marble shaft surmounted by the bronze heroic-sized statue of General Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army.
New Orleans Library — Donated by Andrew Carnegie. Lee Circle and St. Charles Avenue.
Liberty Place — Head of Canal Street, where the White League riot occurred in which the citizens defeated the Federal police, some eighteen prominent men being slain, on September 14, 1874.
Lafayette Square — Camp, St. Charles. North and South Streets, five blocks from Canal. Statues of Henry Clay and John McDonogh. The latter bequeathed large sums to public education, and nearly all the New Orleans public schools are named after him. The City Hall and new Postoffice face the square on opposite sides.
Some Interesting Trolley Rides
(All cars center on Canal Street. Universal transfers, except between Belt, West End and Spanish Fort Lines.)
The Esplanade Belt runs along Canal Street to Rampart, turning into North Rampart until Esplanade Avenue is reached; out Esplanade until Bayou St. John is crossed, then along City Park to Canal, and Canal back to the city.
In this ride can be seen the aristocratic streets and avenues of the latter Creole days, with many handsome residences and spacious grounds.
Along this route the Fair Grounds and Race Track can be reached; also the famous Jockey Club, which is now a residence park and dwelling.
Over the bridge of the old Bayou St. John the car passes by the Beauregard Monument, then the beautiful oaks of the City Park can be seen, stately and grand, with tufts of gray moss hanging from their enormous branches and covering over eighty acres of the park.
The car soon reaches the various cemeteries, then turning into Canal Street, lands one in the heart of the city after an hour's most interesting ride.
The Canal Belt traverses the same route in the opposite direction.
The St. Charles Belt, starting on Canal Street, turns into Baronne; out this busy street to Howard Avenue, then past Lee Circle into St. Charles Avenue, out this beautiful avenue, past Tulane University, to Carrollton, along Carrollton to Tulane, then to South Rampart and back into Canal.
This ride carries one something over ten miles through some of the prettiest and most fashionable parts of the city. St. Charles Avenue varies in width, averaging about one hundred and thirty feet, having in the center a grassy strip known as the "Neutral Ground," bordered for most of its length by rows of trees. On either side of this are roadways for vehicles, the cars being operated on the Neutral Ground.
The most magnificent structures, the residences of wealthy and influential citizens, are located along this route, each with its large garden of tropical plants and yard full of flowers. At St. Charles and Lee Circle is the new building of the New Orleans Public library; St. Charles and Clio, the Athenaeum; and, further out, on the corner of Jackson, is the white marble home of the Harmony Club.
The car then passes Rosa Park, Tulane University, Audubon Place, a residence park, where there are a number of fine residences, Audubon Park and the Golf links, being near by, soon reaching Carrollton Avenue; then Tulane Avenue, to the Baseball Park; past the Hotel Dieu, a private hospital; Charity Hospital, the Parish Court House, into South Rampart and back to Canal.
West End and Spanish Fort lines make the most delightful suburban ride of New Orleans. The West End and Spanish Fort electric express trains start from the corner of Canal and Rampart, running along Canal to the cemeteries. past the Half-Way House, along the New Basin Canal and Shell Road to West End, and thence to Spanish Fort, along the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. This ride covers about fifteen miles.
All car lines leave and return to a point within one block of the St. Charles Hotel.
To the visitor and resident alike are afforded ample conveniences for "seeing New Orleans." The Toye Bros. Company is completely equiped with automobiles, taxis and sight seeing autos and have the finest outfit and service in the city. One of the company is in personal charge at the St. Charles at all times to look after the comfort and convenience of sight seers thus avoiding unpleasant experiences with unreliable livery men.
The large excursion steamer "Sidney" makes daily and nightly trips, "seeing the harbor," which is one of the most magnificent in America.
[ The District
| Storyville History
| Pictorial Tour
| Storyville Transition
| Sporting Houses | Madams | The Blue Book | The Sunday Sun | Maps
| Ernest Bellocq| Bellocq's Women | The Girls | Storyville portraits | Leon Bellocq
| Jazz | Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House
| Engravings | Links | Comments | © 1997-> storyvilledistrictnola
Host -> Network Solutions • Protected by Copyscape ]