There is probably no city in the United States that has so many benevolent institutions as New Orleans, in proportion to its population. Certainly it has not an equal in those voluntary contributions, which are sometimes required to answer the immediate calls of distress. Here are assembled a mixed multitude, composed of almost every nation and tongue, from the frozen to the torrid zone, and, whether it be the sympathy of strangers, or the influence of the sunny south, their purses open and their hearts respond, like those of brothers, to the demands of charity. To illustrate these assertions and to carry out the plan of this work, a description of the most prominent of these establishments is annexed.Norman's New Orleans and Environs, B. M. Norman, 1845
No city in the United States is so well provided with establishments of this kind as New Orleans. Here, the only passport required for admission to the best attendance, is sickness, or an injury. No cold formalities are thrown in the way of the suffering patient. Indeed, it has become a subject of complaint, that access is so easy, and the position so agreeable, that the improvident and the indolent take undue advantage of its benefits.Note: mouse-over-link to view image
CHARITY HOSPITAL, THE -New Page Here.
EYE, EAR, NOSE AND THROAT HOSPITAL is one of the noblest charities in New Orleans. It was instituted in 1889 for the benefit of patients too poor to pay for the services of a physician. It is under the management of a board of trustees, consisting of thirty-three members, three of whom are ex-officio, as belonging to the city government. The doors of this hospital were first thrown open on Dec. 5, 1889, at South Rampart street. In 1892 the building and ground at No. 203 North Rampart street were purchased, and the hospital removed to that place. During the first year of its existence 4,816 persons were treated; there were 627 operations, and 35,016 consultations.
HOTEL DIEU, originally called MAISON DE SANTE -This noble edifice, emphatically the house of the stranger, was built in 1839, and opened in August of the same year. The full and complete success of the enterprise is written in the grateful memories of the thousands of patients who have resorted to it in the hour of sickness and danger. The prices required secure to every sick person more than the attention and comforts of the house of his childhood. Not a doubt need to cross his mind but that all which science, and the most devoted care can effect, will be done for him; he only goes there to get well, if it be possible in the nature of his case. The names of the attending physicians, Doctors Stone, Kennedy and Carpenter, are a sufficient guaranty for the respectability of this establishment.
(Source 2.) Hotel Dieu, also known as Dr. Stone's Infirmary, was opened in the year 1852, by four Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul from St. Joseph's, Emmetsburg, Maryland, Sister Teresa Sherridan being Superioress. The Maison de Sante, the nucleus of the present well known Hotel Dieu, occupied the premises of Dr. Warren Stone, whose friendship for the Sisters, and support of their establishment, ceased only with his noble life. For some years the institution was carried on in its original location. Slowly but surely the humane work gained prominence, until it became evident that in justice to its many patrons, a more commodious building must be provided. Then was the project for the erection of the present Hotel Dieu formed and carried into effect.
In 1858 the Sisters transferred their patients from the old Maison de Sante to the present Hotel Dieu, as it was determined that the institution should henceforth be styled. Since that date, the good work has steadily continued to enlarge its opportunities of service to suffering humanity. From time to time needful additions have been made, until to-day it holds an honorable place among institutions of like character, not only of the South but of the United States.
Among the late movements of special interest made by the Sisters in charge are the surgical operating rooms, in which are afforded facilities for realizing the crowning success of this grand era of surgery — asepsis.
The institution is happy and proud to have connected with its noble work men whose names are foremost among the medical and surgical lights of the South. Prominently interwoven with its progressive development are the names of Dr. P. C. Boyer, Dr. A. B. Miles, Dr. F. Parham, Dr. D. Jamison, Dr. D. Raynaud, Drs. E. and H. S. Lewis.
The training school for nurses is connected with the Hotel Dieu, which, in its lecture course, class-work, and practical advantages, ranks favorably with the prominent training schools of the country. The course covers three years, and the staff of instructors includes sixteen of the most eminent and scientific members of the New Orleans medical faculty. Dr. H. S. Lewis is at present (1900) house surgeon.
HOSPITAL DE LA FAMILLE (for colored widows) -- 41 St. Bernard Avenue.
RICHARD MILLIKEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
SMALLPOX HOSPITAL -South Hagan Avenue, between Canal and Common.
UNITED STATES MARINE HOSPITAL -Situated at Macdonough, opposite New Orleans, occupies a square, measuring three hundred and fifty feet each way, which is enclosed by a good substantial fence, intended, eventually, to give place to an iron railing. The edifice measures, in front, one hundred and sixty feet, by seventy eight deep—from the rear of which two adjuncts extend fifty feet further back, leaving sufficient room between them for a spacious court, immediately behind the centre of the main building.
The whole is laid off into three stories. It is fifty feet from the ground to the eaves, and one hundred and thirty-five to the top of the flag-staff, which surmounts the belvidere. It is built in the Gothic style; and was designed by Mondele and Reynolds, who were the original contractors. It was commenced in 1834, but for want of the necessary[Pg 126] appropriations by the government, the work was suspended, and has gone so much to ruin, that it will require $20,000 to repair the damage.
James H. Caldwell, Esq., has contracted for the completion of this work. The building, when finished and furnished for receiving patients, will cost $130,000. It will accommodate two hundred and sixty nine persons. The grounds, tastefully laid out, are to be embellished with shrubbery. As seen from the Mississippi, or from a distance, this structure presents a very majestic appearance. It stands in a healthy position, elevated and dry; and from its great height, commands a complete view of the river, city, surrounding country, and a whole forest of masts—affording to poor Jack at once a delightful and a busy prospect, that must have a great tendency to cheer the hours of his convalescence.
NEW ORLEANS SANITARIUM AND TRAINING SCHOOL for Nurses was established about fourteen years ago, principally through the efforts of women of the city. The original purpose of the organization was to afford a school in which women could receive the training necessary to enable them to adopt the calling of nurse as a profession. In order to afford the proper facilities for instruction, a Women's and Children's hospital was founded in connection with the school, both institutions being located on St. Joseph street, near Carondelet. In 1893 the women who had hitherto conducted them surrendered the twin institutions to a corporation composed of about thirty of the prominent physicians of the city, and with the change of management the name was changed to the one it now bears. It is, in fact, a private hospital for both sexes, and a model school for a limited number of nurses, the management being thus able to select only the best of the applicants. In 1894 the institution was removed to its present quarters. No. 731 Carondelet street, to a building provided with modern improvements and furnishings. It is now one of the best training schools in the United States, possessing the prime quality of selectness, together with the age and experience attaching to it as a pioneer institution.
CAMP NICHOLLS' SOLDIERS' HOME - Bayou St. John, foot of Esplanade.
CIRCUS STREET INFIRMARY -This institution, situated between Poydras and Perdido streets, was established by Doctors Campbell and Mackie, in July, 1841. It is neatly furnished, and offers all the comforts and advantages of a private house to the invalid. No contagious diseases are admitted, and kind and skilful nurses are furnished. Also referenced -132 and 134 South Rampart.
FRANKLIN INFIRMARY, [THE] -Is situated in the Fauxbourg Franklin, in Champs Elysees street, fronting the Pontchartrain rail-road, and about two miles from the city. It is a private hospital, founded by Dr. C. A. Luzemburg. The building, although not large, is accommodated with several out houses, and the grounds are spacious and pleasant. aka Luzenburg Hospital -- 431 Elysian Fields.
INFIRMARY OF THE SISTERS OF CHARITY -Hotel Dieu - Common, between Bertrand and South Johnson.
SAMARITAN CHARITABLE ASSOCIATION. -This institution was founded during the epidemic of 1837, for the purpose of alleviating the wants of the poor and the sick. They established an office at that period, where some of the members, day and night, were always in readiness to attend the bed-side of disease, and to administer aid to the indigent. The late mayor, and many of the most wealthy citizens are members; and, in time of need, the association is liberally endowed by the spontaneous donations of the generous public.
SOUTHERN HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION -was established in 1866, for the purpose of providing artificial limbs for Southerh soldiers maimed during the war, and otherwise caring for them until they were able to maintain themselves. Up to 1868, 800 soldiers had been relieved by this institution, and others had been assisted in obtaining situations as teachers, or as managers of farms. The resources consisted entirely of individual contributions, and of the proceeds of fairs held by the women of New Orleans and Mobile for its benefit. In 1868 the sum had reached the figure of $80,000, of which $25,000 remained in hand. The hospital was situated at No. 319 Carondelet Walk, and contained at the time mentioned, forty-seven inmates. As the war receded the necessity for such an institution gradually diminished, and at length it ceased to exist.
TOURO INFIRMARY - Pyrtania, between Amelia and Delachaise. The Touro Infirmary owes its origin to the generosity of Judah Touro, who left a bequest of $40,000 for the endowment of an almshouse in New Orleans. The Touro Infirmary Society was incorporated in 1854, and a hospital was established in a small building at the corner of Levee and Gaiennie streets, which formed a part of the property bequeathed. The institution "was found too small for the growing demands made upon it, and in 1881, a consolidation having been effected between the Infirmary Society and the Hebrew Benevolent Association, a lot of ground was purchased on Prytania street above Louisiana avenue, and the three large buildings were ready for occupation by January, 1882. In 1899 Julius Weis donated to the Infirmary the generous sum of $25,000 for the purpose of erecting a new building on the grounds designed for the aged and infirm. A Ladies' Sewing Society greatly aids the institution, which is now one of the finest and best equipped in the city.
| The District
| Sporting Houses
| The Girls
| Ernest Bellocq
| Bellocq's Women
| Storyville Portraits |
| Leo Bellocq | Blue Books | Maps | Pictorial Tour | The Transition | Jazz | Storyville Jazz | Sunday Sun News |
| Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments |
| © 1997-> storyvilledistrictnola -> Hosted by Network Solutions -> Protected by Copyscape |