#

St. George s Episcopal Church

Corner of St. Charles and Cadiz Street.

Church of St. Anthouy of Padua

The quaint little Church stands on the corner off Conti and Rampart Streets. This is the ancient Mortuary Chapel of Old New Orleans.

Synagogue for early Jewish emigrants

Just over the way from St. Anthony's Church is an old building erected in 1822 as a synagogue for early Jewish emigrants. Upon the consolidation of the congregation in 1878, with that of the "Dispersed of Judah," who worshiped in the building on Carondelet street, near Julia, above Canal Street, the edifice in Rampart Street was put on the market for sale. It is now used as a laundry.

St. Augustine's Church

At the corner of Rampart and Hospital streets, diverge one square toward the lake side, and at the corner of Hospital and St. Claude Streets, the second oldest in the French Quarter.

The Holy Trinity Church

Father Thevis founder of St. Roch'a Chapel was for many years pastor; near the corner of St. Ferdinand and Dauphine. The customs of old German Catholic countries still maintain in this church.

St. Vincent de Paul's Church

The handsome edifice on Dauphine Street, between Clouet and Montegut Streets, which was erected some thirty-five years ago on the site of the little frame chapel that did duty for a church in this section fifty years ago.

Church of St. Maurice

A few squares further on, lying over towards the woods. It is the parish church of upper St. Bernard Parish.

Church of the Annunciation

Two squares from Rampart street there stands at the corner of Marais and Mandeville Streets the little old French Church of the Annunciation, erected over fifty years ago for the French-speaking people of the Faubourg Marigny. It is in the old French style of architecture, as also the portion of the quaint presbytery, now the residence of Rt. Rev. Gustave A. Rouxel, auxiliary bishop of New Orleans. The beautiful old-fashioned garden, with its little shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes.

St. Anna's Episcopal Church

The handsome brick church on the lower side of Esplanade Avenue, between Marais and Villere. It occupies the site of a frame church which was erected in 1869 at a cost of $10,000, by Dr. Mercer, in memory of his only child, Anna. This building was destroyed by fire in 1870. Through the insurance and subscriptions which he obtained from friends, Dr. Girault, who was then rector, began the erection of the present edifice, the cornerstone of which was laid in March, 1877. The church freed from debt, was consecrated in 1886. The total cost was $15,000. Dr. Girault died in 1889, and was succeeded by the present rector, Dr. E. W. Hunter. Dr. Hunter is a Prayer Book Churchman, and, while the services at St. Anna's are, by no means, ritualistic, the Church stands in the City as the representative of the High Church School of thought. The parish is one of the oldest in the diocese, having resulted from a mission begun in 1846. In this parish was begun the first organized effort to provide seamen with religious worship, it having been originally called St. Peter's Church for Seamen. Since 1890, many improvements have been made, among them the purchase of a handsome rectory in Esplanade Avenue and the erection of a Chapel, in memory of the Right Rev. John Nicholas Gallegher, S. T. D.

Greek Church of the Holy Trinity

On a street known both as Dolhonde and Dorgenois, within view of Esplanade Avenue. Services are not held regularly. The ornaments on the altar were presented by the late New press of Russia.

St. Rose de Lima

On Bayou Road, between North Dorgenois and North Broad, is the beautiful little church. The congregation is exclusively French.

The old French Church of St. Anne

St. Philip Street, near N. Prieur. As in St. Rose de Lima, the congregation is exclusively French; indeed, one may go for squares and squares in this rear portion of New Orleans and hear nothing but French in all its original purity.

The quaint old church on Lake Lery which runs through the settlement (village of Ste. Croix) was erected in 1778 by Galvez. It contains in its ancient register the baptismal certificates of General P. G. T. Beauregard, and his father and mother; of Mendes, Coiron, Livaudais and other founders of St. Bernard's Parish.

Canal Street Presbyterian Church

Corner of Canal and Derbigny Street.

Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

The beautiful Church stands at the corner of South Lopez and Canal Streets. It was erected entirely at the expense of one of New Orleans' philanthropic citizens, the late Colonel P. A. O'Brien. The cost was $50,000. Mr. O'Brien, at his death, left a handsome sum for the erection of the School of the Sacred Heart, which adjoins the Church.

St. Joseph's Church

The immense structure of brick on the corner of Tulane Avenue and South Derbigny Street. It is noted as being the second largest church in the United States. During the construction of the walls in 1871 the foundations settled, and the building was greatly injured, but the defects being overcome, the structure was completed in 1892, with the exception of the spires, which were to have been 200 feet high. The church is Gothic-Romanesque in style. The rose window in the organ loft was made in Munich, is 21 feet in diameter, and cost $1,800. It represents Christ and the twelve apsotles. The church has seating capacity of 1,900. The iron cross that surmounts it is 25 feet high.

Jesuits' Church

Baronne Street, near Canal. Baronne Street at this point marks the limits of the old Jesuits' Plantation of 1727, and just where the beautiful church now rises, with its magnificent dome, was the spot where the fathers of this order first attempted the cultivation of sugar cane in 1751. As the car turns the corner of Baronne the stately dome of the church rises to view. The handsome structure occupies the site of an unpretentious little chapel built in 1848. The church is known officially as that of the Immaculate Conception. It is in the Moresque style of architecture, and was designed by a Jesuit priest. The building is 133 feet long and 60 feet wide. The twin steeples have never been built. The interior is graceful, with galleries resting on a series of horseshoe-shaped arches, supported by slender iron columns of Moorish design. The subjects represented in the small, round, stained-glass windows are the stations of the cross. The stained-glass in the lower windows represents scenes from the history of the Jesuits. The main altar is of gold, and was executed in Paris at a cost of $14,000. A dome 180 feet high rises above the altar; and in the wall is a niche in which stands a white marble statue of the Virgin Mary. This statue was ordered by Marie Amelie, Queen of France, for the royal chapel in the Tuilleries; but the Revolution of 1848 drove the Queen from France, and caused the statue, to be offered for sale. It was purchased by a Creole gentleman and brought to New Orleans. At his death it was purchased for this church at a cost of £5,000. Its original value was estimated at $30,000. In the chapel on the right is the altar of St. Joseph, and on the left is the altar dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The bronze statue of St. Peter, near the main entrance, is modeled from the famous figure in the Church of St. Peter, in Rome. In the galleries are many beautiful memorial windows, among others one erected iby the soldier-Jesuit, Father Hubert, to the Confederate dead. The church is celebrated for the excellence of its music. Adjoining the church is the College of the Immaculate Conception, conducted by the Jesuit Fathers since its establishment by them in 1848. The school contains a library, in which is one of the largest and best collections of books on canon law in the United States, also the largest and best collection of French authors in the United States. The T. J, Semmes Memorial Chapel, a handsome specimen of Moorish architecture, is in this building. To the right of the Church stands McCloskey Hall, a fine brick structure erected and donated by the Messrs. McCloskey to the Jesuit Fathers for College purposes.

Northern Methodist Church

At the corner of Calliope Street and St. Charles Avenue, founded just after the Civil War by Bishop J. P. Newman. It was here that Gen. Grant worshipped while in New Orleans.

First German Church

St. Charles, corner of St. Andrew.

Christ Church Cathedral

The fine brick and stucco edifice at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Sixth Street. This church represents the pioneer Protestant organization of the Southwest. It was organized in January, 1805. At this date the Protestant tabulation of New Orleans was so small and belonged to so many denominations that it was found impossible to build churches to accommodate each unto kself. A meeting was, therefore, called of all the Protestants, and it was decided that a church be erected. The decision as to what denomination the church should belong was settled by lot. The Episcopalians won, the church was built, and all Protestants united in their house of worship. The church was originally attached to the Diocese of New York. It stood at the corner of Canal and Bourbon Streets. In 1847, as the old church was found to be too small, a new one was erected, at the corner of Dauphine and Canal Streets, at a cost of $50,000. In 1886 this church was sold and the congregation moved to the present beautiful edifice. The interior is very handsomely frescoed. The stained-glass windows include memorials to the Slocomb family and the late Bishop Galleher. The entrance to the lower floor of the tower contains old tablets of the former wardens. Christ Church is the pro-cathedral of the Diocese, and the dean acts as rector. The residence of the bishop, Rt. Rev. D. Sessums, adjoins the Cathedral, with which it communicates through vine-grown cloisters. The dean's residence is in the rear of the church in Sixth Street. Adjoining the church is the J. L. Harris Memorial Chapel, erected by Mrs. J. L. Harris in memory of her husband.

Rayne Memorial Methodist Church

At the corner of General Taylor and St. Charles, erected by Mr. Rayne, a wealthy citizen, at a cost of $50,000, in memory of his son, who was killed at the battle of Shiloh.

St. George's Episcopal Church

Corner of St. Charles and Cadiz Street.

Church of the Holy Name of Jesus

Nearly opposite the entrance to Audubon Park; the beautiful little Church under the direction of the Jesuit Fathers.

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

602 Carrollton Avenue.

Trinity Church

On the corner of Coliseum and Jackson. Trinity is an Episcopal Church, and so many of its rectors have passed from this parish to the bishopric that it is often called "The Church of the Bishops." It is of Gothic architecture. The congregation was organized in 1847. The present structure dates from 1851, and was built at a cost of $22,500. Bishop Polk was called to take charge of the parish in 1855. He left it during the Civil War to become a Major General in the Confederate service, and after serving gallantly was shot and killed while out with a reconnoitering party on Pine Mountain, near Marietta, Georgia, June 14, 1864. A beautiful stained-glass window has been erected to his memory and contains scenes from the life of the Savior — the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and the Ascension. In 1865 Dr. J. W. Beckwith, afterwards Bishop of Georgia, became rector. During his incumbency the church was extended and improved at a cost of $25,000. In 1868 Rev. J. N. Galleher, afterward Bishop of Louisiana, became rector. He was succeeded by the Rev. S. S. Harris, afterwards Bishop of Michigan. In 1873 the front of the church was remodelled at a cost of $16,000. Dr. Hugh Miller Tnompson, the late Bishop of Mississippi, was the next rector. The present rector is Dr. Beverly Warner. Trinity is reputed to have the best choir among the Protestant Churches in the city.

French Church of Notre Dame de Bons Secours

The little Church is on Jackson Street near Constance.

St. Stephen's Church

At the corner of Camp and Napoleon Avenue, a handsome edifice in brick. It has been in course of construction for some years and still lacks the steeple. The interior is not yet completed, but for the past ten years services have been held in the edifice. The pictures over the altar represent the martyrdom of St. Stephen.

First Presbyterian Church

It was over this congregation that the noted divine, the late Dr. R. M. Palmer, presided from 1856 to May, 1902. The First Presbyterian Church, in its eventful history as a congregation, represents the growth of Presbyterianism in New Orleans. The first effort to plant Presbyterianism in New Orleans originated strangely enough with the Congregationalists of New England. In 1817 the Connecticut Missionary Society engaged a missionary to tour the Southwestern States and inquire into religious conditions. As a result of his investigations, the Rev. Sylvester Larned was sent to New Orleans in January, 1818. The City Council gave a plot of ground on St. Charles Street, between Union and Gravier, as a site for a Presbyterian Church, and Dr. Larned succeeded in negotiating a loan of $40,000 for the erection of the edifice. In 1820, Mr. Larned placed the number of communicants in his church at 40. Dr. Larned. died in 1820. Eighteen months later Dr. Theodore Clapp, a famous graduate of Yale and of the Theological Seminary at Andover, came to preside over the Church. Dr. Clapp liquidated the debt of the church by means of a lottery which he established, and by a personal donation of $20,000, which he received from Judah P. Touro, a princely merchant of Jewish faith, who became his warm friend through life. Dr. Clapp's ministry was a very troubled one, from the suspicions entertained of liis doctrinal unsoundness. In 1824 he declared his faith was shaken in the doctrine of future punishment, and doubts thickening upon him through years, lie was at length forced to plant himself in open hostility to the whole Calvanistic theology. Twice he was called before the "Sessions" of the Presbytery. Finally, he was declared deposed from the ministery of the Presbyterian Church. But Dr. Clapp was a very brilliant man, and he carried the bulk of the congregation and his church property with him and founded the Unitarian Church in New Orleans. Presbyterianism had received a great blow. It had to make a new start, and from beginnings quite as small as the first, for only nine of the old congregation seceded from Dr. Clapp, and sought to reorganize the First Church. These nine worshiped in a warehouse on Lafayette Street, that was owned by Mr. Cornelius Paulding, and which was located on the site now occupied by Dr. Palmer's Church. In 1835 Dr. Parker came to minister to the congregation, and through his efforts a church costing nearly $70,000 was built. In 1854 the roll of communicants had reached 600. That same year the church was destroyed by fire, and the present handsome structure was begun. In the meantime Rev. B. M. Palmer was called to the pastorate. He arrived in December, 1856, and in 1857 the beautiful edifice, which still stands the pride and monument of Presbyterianism in New Orleans, was completed and dedicated. It cost in all its appointments, the sum of $87,000. No man ever wielded a greater or more beneficent influence among his people than Dr. Palmer, and his name and memory are inseparably associated with the church. In Lafayette Cemetery, the celebrated Presbyterian divine Dr. Palmer, sleeps in one of the most picturesque cemetery corners in New Orleans;in one of the narrow old-fashioned aisles towards Prytania Street. The remains of Dr. Palmer will be removed during 1904 to a magnificent monument erected to his memory, in Metairie Cemetery, by the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church.

St. Patrick's Church

On Camp Street, between Girod and Julia. The structure, which is Gothic in style, is worthy of the attention of the sitist or student, whether considered merely for its size or for the splendor of its architecture. The plan of the church is an imitation of the famed York Minster, and is regarded as being the happiest effort in this field in the United Staites. The material is brick, rough cast, to simulate uncut stone. The church was erected early in the fifties by the Irish colony in New Orleans. The tower is 250 feet high and for many years "the four points of St. Patrick's steeple" were the guiding compass for New Orleans. The interior of the church is pure Gothic, with comparatively little ornamentation, except the reredos, which is very beautifully wrought. Back of the main altar is a very effective copy of Raphael's "Transfiguration." On the right is a picture of St. Peter walking on the waves, and on the left, St. Patrick baptizing the King's and Queens of Ireland in Tara's Hall, Among the beautiful pieces of statuary is the "Mater Dolorosa," which created such interest in the religious art exhibit at the World's Fair in Chicago.

Episcopalian Congregation of St. Paul's

The handsome stone church stands at the corner of Camp and Gaiennie Streets. St. Paul's Church was erected in 1893, on the site of an older structure, which was destroyed by fire a year or so before. The interior of the church is very beautiful. Its most remarkable feature is its tower, which is a reproduction of a famous structure at Oxford, England. The church is expensively finished with pavements and wainscot of colored marbles, and has a pleasing interior. This building was erected under the efficient management of the late Rev. H. H. Waters, who was for twenty-seven years in charge of the congregation. This church has a fine surpliced choir of boys and makes strangers welcome at its services.

St. Theresa's Church

At the corner of Camp and Erato, a quaint specimen of Dutch architecture.

Coliseum Place Baptist Church

At the corner of Camp and Terpsichore, one of the oldest worshiping places of that denomination in the city.

Felicity Street Methodist Church

Corner of Felicity and Chestnut Streets. It is a handsome brick structure and stands upon the site formerly occupied by a stately edifice of brick, which was built about 1850, in the Grecian style, and which was burned about eleven years ago.

St. Alphonsus' Church

Constance Street, between St. Andrew and Josephine. It is of pure Renaissance architecture, with two towers, the steeples of which have never been completed. Over the main door, in a niche, is a statue of St. Alphonsus, to whom the church is dedicated. The edifice has a seating capacity of 1,200. It was began in 1856 and dedicated in 1868. The visitor is struck immediately upon entering, by the profusion of ornamentation and the beautiful frescoes on which the painter and the gilder have exhausted the resources of their art The main altar cost $8,000. Over this altar is a very beautiful painting of St. Alphonsus, the work of a Roman artist. The large building used for the parish school, library, etc., stands in the open area on the downtown side of the church. The building cost $100,000, exclusive of its artistic embellishments.

St. Mary's Assumption Church

Josephine, between Constance and Laurel Streets. The belfry is 190 feet high, and is considered very beautiful. It stands in the courtyard, near the side door of the church. The church is Renaissance in style, with ' an exterior the plainness of which contrasts well with the highly ornamental in- terior. The ceiling is covered with stucco traceries. The main altar, designed and executed in Munich, cost $10,000 and is considered one of the handsomest in America. The stained glass windows are very expensive and beautiful. The pulpit is hung in a remarkable Way.

Lafayette Church

On Magazine, between Jackson Avenue and Philip, stands the second oldest Presbyterian Church in the city; built in 1843. For over half a century Rev. Dr. Thos. R. Markham. who was a great Confederal chaplain, was the rector. He was buried from this church. His monument is in Metairie Cemetery.

First Baptist Church

On Magazine, between Washington Avenue and Sixth Street, is a building known formerly as the Garden District Theatre, now owned and occupied by the First Baptist Church.

"Jewish Right Way" Synagogue

Between Poydras and Lafayette. This is the worshiping place of the orthodox Jews.

Carondelet Street Methodist Church

Between Lafayette and Girod, the oldest Methodist Church in the city. It was built shortly before the Civil War, through the liberality and the exertions of Messrs. McGehee and Hill, two prominent Methodists. The church is of brick, and has an Ionic portico, and is covered by a graceful cupola, modeled after the monument of Lysicrates, in Greece. Bishop J. C. Keener, the Senior Bishop of the Southern Methodists often preached here.

Touro Synagogue

Situated on Carondelet Street, between Julia and St. Joseph, it is of Grecian design, and is named after the philanthropist, Judah Touro, who settled in New Orleans in 1801, and died in 1854, leaving an immense fortune, oxer $400,000 of which was, by the terms of his will, distributed among the religious and charitable institutions of the city. Mr. Touro was a sincerely religious man, and associated himself with a body of Jews who were accustomed to meet for religions services at the home of a gentleman named Andrews, which occupied the site adjoining the Howard Library, on Gamp Street, where now stands a neat, one-storied frame residence. In 1845 Mr. Touro purchased the building on the corner of Canal and Bourbon Streets, which had up to that year been occupied by the Episcopal congregation of Christ Church. This was converted into a synagogue and presented to his coreligionists. They used it for several years, but disposed of it to remove to the present structure, which is interesting as reproducing with considerable exactness the original home of the venerable and wealthy congregation. In 1882 Touro Synagogue and the old congregation of the Gates of Mercy, organized in 1828, and the oldest in the city, consolidated. The congregation has subsequently been known as the "Gates of Mercy of the Dispersed of Judah." In memory of its great benefactor, the name of Mr. Touro was bestowed upon the place of worship. A special prayer for Mr. Touro has been inserted in the memorial services on the Day of Atonement, and at each annual recurrence of the ceremony the entire congregation rises and remains standing while the rabbi pronounces the solemn sentences. Rev. I. L. Leucht is the presiding rabbi. The synagogue is noted for its beautiful music and excellent choir.

Temple Sinai

Stands on Carondelet Street, near Howard Avenue. This congregation was founded in 1871. The first rabbi of the congregation was Dr. J. K. Gutheim, one of the most eloquent and learned men of his time. This congregation, like that of Touro Synagogue, is composed of reformed Jews. The building is decorated in the Byzantine style, and is very beautiful. The music and chanting here are always very fine. Rev. Max Heller is the presiding rabbi.

The third Hebrew congregation was founded in 1850, and erected a synagogue, which it still retains, corner of Jackson and Chippewa Streets.

German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Clio, near St. Charles Avenue.

Catholic Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel

At the corner of Chestnut and Louisiana Avenue, built in 1882.

Louisiana Avenut Methodist Church

At the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Magazine, erected in 1896.

Valence Street Baptist Church

Corner of Valence and Magazine.

Parker Chapel

The small wooden church at the corner of Magazine and Peters Avenue.

Church of the Messiah

Near the corner of St. Charles and Julia, Streets, in the beautiful cultivated garden spot on the river side of the street, there stood until 1902 the famous Church, which was erected by the Hebrew philanthropist, Judah P. Touro, in 1854, for the use of his friend, the celebrated Unitarian minister, Dr. Theodore Clapp, when the tatter's church was destroyed by fire after his secession from Presbyterianism. The church cost $60,000, and was a very curious piece of architecture. It was octagonal in form, and the aisles and clerestory gave it a pleasing effect. This church was sold in 1902, and from the proceeds of the sale the new edifice, corner of Dryades and Peters Avenue, was erected. The old church was demolished.

St. Michael's Church

Just opposite Annunciation Square, on the river side, are the presbytery and parochial schools.

Unitarian Church

At the corner of Peters Avenue and Dryades Street. This building was erected in 1902, and represents the congregation founded oy Dr. Theodore Clapp when he seceded from the Presbyterian Church in 1833, and carried the bulk of his congregation and the church property with him. The history of this congregation has already been referred to, as also the old church edifice which stood for so many years near the corner of St. Charles and Julia Streets; from the proceeds of the sale was erected the present building. Though much smaller than the old church, it is better adapted to the needs of the Unitarian congregation.

Church of St. John the Baptist

Corner of Calliope. This is the handsome Catholic Church; it stands between the Dominican Convent and St. John Parochial School and Presbytery.

Gothic chapel of St Roch

The old chapel is designed after the old mortuary chapels still extant in German and Hungarian countries, and which, in ages gone by, were used for the burial of the elect. Each morning the bell hanging in the quaint belfry is tolled in accordance with a curious Hungarian custom, and every Monday morning mass is offered in the chapel for the repose of the souls of all those interred within and about the consecrated grounds.


#



SITE MAP
[ The District | Sporting Houses | The Blue Book | Madams | The Girls | Ernest Bellocq | Bellocq's Women
| Leon Bellocq | Storyville History | Pictorial Tour | Storyville Transition | Maps | The Sunday Sun
| Jazz | Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments ]
# Copyright © 1997->> storyvilledistrictnola.com Do not copy content from the page. Plagiarism will be detected by Copyscape. #

New Orleans History, 1897-1917