Situated on the Battle Ground, six miles below the city. The United States Government purchased a portion of the old battle-ground where, in 1815, Jackson defeated the English, and converted it into a national cemetery. The grounds, covered with hundreds of little white marble headstones, are laid out in a tasteful manner, with shelled walks and avenues of trees. In the centre is a military monument, recently erected, on which is inscribed the appropriate motto, referring to the dead heroes and their deeds, "Dum tacent claman" ("While silent they cry aloud" — Cicero) . On Decoration Day, the Grand Army of the Republic usually holds a memorial service on this spot, when appropriate addresses are made. The earthworks outside of the walls were raised by the Confederates during the late war for the defense of the city. On the upper side of the cemetery, in the distance, is the Battle Monument, and near it, among the trees, is Jackson's headquarters.NEW ORLEANS CITY GUIDE
NEW ORLEANS AS IT IS, WITH A CORRECT GUIDE TO ALL
PLACES OF INTEREST, 1885, Bv W. E. PEDRICK.
STANDARD HISTORY OF NEW ORLEANS. EDITED BY HENRY RIGHTOR,
THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, CHICAGO 1900.
CHAPTER X. OLD BURIAL PLACES. BY A. G. DURNO.
[ The District | Sporting Houses | The Blue Book | Madams | The Girls | Ernest Bellocq | Bellocq's Women
| Leon Bellocq | Storyville History | Pictorial Tour | Storyville Transition | Maps | The Sunday Sun
| Jazz | Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments ]
|Copyright © 1997->> storyvilledistrictnola.com|