ASILE DE LA STE. FAMILLE (for colored children).
BEAUREGARD ASYLUM -Pauline, between St. Claude and N. Rampart.
BOYS' HOUSE OF REFUGE —Metairie Road, between Bienville and Conti.
CAMP STREET ORPHAN ASYLUM
CATHOLIC MALE ORPHAN ASYLUM -This institution is supported by an association, and by private donations. The establishment occupies a large building fronting the river, and a few squares above the New Convent. About one hundred and seventy children receive the benefits of this charity.
CHILDREN'S HOME, (Protestant Episcopal), -Near the corner of Jackson and Chippewa stands the admirable asylum conducted under the auspices of the Episcopal diocese of Louisiana. It is a home for orphan girls, but also receives small boys. The institution is in charge of the Sisters of Bethany, a local diocesan organization of the Episcopal faith. The chapel is very pretty, and the children's festivals, especially at Easter and Christmastide, are very beautiful.
FATHER TURGUS ASYLUM (for Widows and Orphans of the South) -St. Claude, corner of Pauline.
FEMALE ASYLUM OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION -871 North Rampart, corner of Elmira.
FAITH HOME FOR THE AGED AND DESTITUTE —Pitt, corner of Robert.
FEMALE ORPHAN ASYLUM -Stands at the intersection of Camp and Prytania streets, on an angular lot, widening to the rear on Erato street. It has a northerly front on the junction of the two first named streets, and occupies all the grounds that are contained in this irregular space—the rear, however, being reserved as a site for a church, to be erected at some future period. The land was a liberal donation from Madame Foucher, and her brother, Francis Soulet. Previous to the erection of this building, the establishment was conducted in rented tenements, under the direction of the Sisters of Charity; in whose hands it still continues to present a praiseworthy example of neatness and parental care. It commenced in 1836 with six children; and, in 1839, with great exertions, it accommodated ninety.
FINK HOME —Camp, between Antonine and Amelia.
FIREMEN'S CHARITABLE ASSOCIATION, THE -Was incorporated in 1835, and managed by a board of directors chosen from each company, subject to certain restrictions. The officers, (a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer,) are elected by the board from members of the association, on the first Monday of January, of each year. The object of this society is the relief of its members, who are incapacitated from attending to business from sickness or misfortunes not arising from improper causes. It makes provision also for the benefit of their families—particularly widows and orphans. This is a very laudable association, and every way deserving of the excellent fire department from which it originated.
GERMAN PROTESTANT HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM is at No. 5919 Magazine (at State Str.). At No. 6126 will be found the Monastery of the Poor Clares. This is a cloistered community of nuns, similar to the Discalced Carmelite Nuns, whose home is in the old French quarter.
GIROD ASYLUM —Metairie Road, between Conti and St. Louis.
HEBREW BENEVOLENT SOCIETY, -Although but a short time in existence, has accomplished much good; diffusing charity, not in mere accordance with sectional prejudices, but in that catholic spirit of genuine benevolence, which freely dispenses its benefits alike upon Jew and Christian, and recognizes but one brotherhood in the family of man.
HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM —Annunciation, corner Calliope.
HOME OF THE AGED AND DESTITUTE —Magnolia, corner of Laharpe.
HOME FOR INCURABLES -Adjoining the monastery on Henry Clay Avenue. Three years ago the Louisiana Kings' Daughters undertook, through the offering of a cent a day for blessings received, to build an annex to the Home. The sum of $10,000 has been raised through these "blessing boxes." The new edifice will be erected during the year and will serve as the Administration Building of the Home.
HOUSE OF REFUGE FOR DESTITUTE GIRLS —Annunciation, corner of Calliope.
HOUSE OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD -Bienville. between North Dolhonde and North Broad.
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION Orphan Girls' Asylum,(Catholic), 871 North Rampart street.
INDIGENT COLORED ORPHAN ASYLUM —393 Dauphine.
INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL AND MODEL FARM of Our Lady of the Holy Cross -North Peters, corner of Reynes.
ISIDORE NEWMAN MANUAL TRAINING SCHOOL, the gift of a philanthropic citizen of that name to the Jewish Widows and Orphans Home Association for the manual training of the orphans in the Jewish Home; at the corner of Peters Avenue and South Rampart
JEWISH WIDOWS' AND ORPHAN'S ASYLUM
—Jackson, corner of Chippewa.
JOHN BERCHMAN ASYLUM FOR GIRLS -733 Orleans, built by Thomy Lafon, 1893.
LAFON HOME FOR BOYS -1893-1906, St. Peter.
THOMY LAFON HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM of the colored race. The site is that of the old "St. Bernard's Home for Aged Colored Women," founded by the Sisterhood of the Holy Family, in 1842; corner of North Tonti and Hospital Streets.
THOMY LAFON -A Devout Layman of African Descent.
LES DAMES DE LA PROVIDENCE -This association was formed in 1839. It consists of about one hundred ladies, who each contribute a certain sum monthly as a charitable fund. Its object is to render aid to the sick, the poor and the infirm. The institution was put into operation by the benevolent French ladies of New Orleans; and, were its resources equal to the kind feelings of its members, it would be rendered a means of alleviating much distress among the sick and destitute.
LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR —Home for Aged Men, North Johnson, corner of Laharpe.
LOUISIANA RETREAT INSANE ASYLUM -Nashville, corner of Magazine, 1864.
"MARGARET'S BABY HOUSE" -This interesting institution is at the corner of Magazine and Race Streets. It is in charge of the Sisters of Charity. It is the foundling asylum of the city, and contains at almost all times at least 200 children, infants in arms or babies just beginning to walk. No little motherless or abandoned babe is ever refused admittance here. The neatness, order, and general perfection of the management are often commented upon admiringly. One of the most interesting features of the Asylum is the perfectly equipped kindergarten and the nursery, where several hundred little tots play about the floor or sleep in the pretty white-curtained beds, all unconscious of what life has in store for them. In the pretty parlor on the first floor is a picture of Margaret holding a babe in her arms. The memory of this gentle mother of the orphans is very fragrant in the Asylum.
MILNE ORPHAN ASYLUM, THE -This institution was endowed in 1839, by Alexander Milne, a liberal Scotch gentleman, from whom it takes its name. It was established for the education and protection of helpless orphan children of both sexes.
MISS SOPHIE B. WRIGHT'S Free Night School for Boys -corner of Camp and Race.
MOUNT CARMEL FEMALE ORPHAN ASYLUM (Catholic) —53 Piety Street, near Dauphine, established sixty-three years ago.
NEW ORLEANS FEMALE ORPHAN ASYLUM (Catholic), dates from 1843. It
was incorporated under the management of a band of Sisters of Charity, for the purpose of "receiving, harboring, nursing, raising, maintaining and educating destitute female orphans under the age of fifteen," who were to be entirely under the control of the Sisters until they had attained their majority, or were married. Since the establishment of the St. Elizabeth House of Industry, in 1855, it has become the rule to transfer the inmates of this asylum at the age of twelve to the latter institution, where they are taught needle-work, housewifery, and given a good education. The asylum owns property to the amount of about $40,000, but is assisted by appropriations from the State and from the city.
POYDRAS ORPHAN ASYLUM FOR FEMALES -This is one of the oldest establishments of the kind in New Orleans. It was endowed by Julien Poydras, and possesses an immense revenue from valuable improved real estate. They occupy on Julia, from St. Charles to Carondelet streets, and extend back about two-thirds of an immense square. It has for several years had an average of one hundred and twenty children. The excellent system and regulations, in regard both to instruction and health, will not be disparaged by comparison with the best institutions in the world. Possessing so much property and such beautiful grounds, it is to be regretted that more spacious and comfortable buildings are not erected for the accommodation of the inmates.
PROVIDENCE ASYLUM FOR COLORED FEMALE CHILDREN -Hospital, corner of North Tonti.
PROTESTANT ORPHANS' HOME, corner of Constance and Seventh streets, was called into existence by the necessity of supplying a home for the children orphaned by the epidemic of 1853. It received its first aid from the Howard Association, which sent fifty-six orphans left to its care, each with a dower of $100, and gave an additional $2,000, making $7,600 in all. Orphans of both sexes are admitted, as well as half-orphans whose surviving parent is incapable of caring for them. Its support comes from the State, the city, private subscriptions, and membership dues.
PROTESTANT SOCIETY for the Relief of Destitute Orphan Boys was organized at a meeting held in the Presbyterian Church March 28, 1824. At this meeting a committee was appointed to solicit subscriptions for the establishment of a home for destitute boys, one of their number being charged with the task of requesting aid from the city council. Up to 1841 the institution was sustained by contributions from the community, but was without a permanent endowment. About this time the dormitory, library and fine schoolhouse were destroyed by fire, and an appeal was made to the public for aid. John McDonogh donated $100,000 to the society, which was thus enabled to build the present large, substantial house on St. Charles avenue, between Dufossat and Bellecastle streets. The asylum is now sustained by the income derived from the rentals of its property.
SACRED HEART ORPHANAGE —Esplanade.
SAINT ALPHONSUS ORPHAN ASYLUM (Catholic), —Fourth, corner of St. Patrick.
SAINT ANN'S ASYLUM —Prytania, corner of St. Mary.
SAINT ANNA ASYLUM is a handsome stuccoed structure at the corner of St. Mary and Prytania Streets. It was founded by Dr. Mercer, in memory of his only daughter, Anna, as a retreat for poor gentlewomen, and was well endowed by him.
SAINT ISIDORE'S INSTITUTE (Farm School), North Peters, corner Reynes.
SAINT JOSEPH ACADEMY
SAINT JOSEPH'S ORPHAN ASYLUM -Josephine, corner of Laurel. Under direction of the Sisters or Mercy.
SAINT JOSEPH'S GERMAN BOYS' AND GIRLS' ORPHAN ASYLUM (Catholic), also established in 1853, is supported by the State and city, and receipts from St. Joseph's Cemetery. It is situated at No. 2044 Laurel street.
SAINT JOSEPH GERMAN PROTESTANT ASYLUM -State, between Camp and Chestnut (Burtheville).
SAINT MARY'S ORPHAN BOYS' ASYLUM -Chartres, between Mazant and French Avenue.
SAINT PHILIP STREET ORPHANAGE -First Communion.
SAINT VINCENT'S HOME FOR BOYS, established by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, 1836, is for the maintenance of half orphan boys. Its resources are derived from the State, from donations, from work, and from contributions from the society. There is also a St. Vincent Asylum for half-orphan girls on Cambronne street, corner of Third.
SAINT VINCENT'S ORPHAN ASYLUM -1. Cambronne, between Second and Burthe (Carrollton).
SAINT VINCENT'S INFANT ASYLUM -2. Magazine, corner of Race. Attended by Sisters of Charity.
SAINT VINCENT'S INFANT ASYLUM -3. New Orleans.
SAINT VINCENT'S INFANT ASYLUM, 4. -Established in 1862, serves as the foundling asylum of the city. It is strictly for infants, who, at the age of seven, are transferred, the girls to the Camp Street Orphan Asylum, the boys, to some other institution. This asylum, which is one of the most interesting, as well as deserving, in the city, is located on Magazine street, at the corner of Race. The building is a commodious brick edifice, and its nurseries, halls, and dormitories are models of neatness. It is supported by the State and city, and by private donations.
SEVENTH STREET PROTESTANT ORPHAN'S HOME -On Magazine, between Seventh and Eighth Streets, is a handsome brick structure, about which the vines clamber, suggesting peace and content. It is under the management of a board of lady directors, and is ably conducted.
SHAKSPEARE ALMSHOUSE, -where the penniless and decrepit poor may find a refuge. It was built by Mayor Shakspeare ten or twelve years ago. The large brick building in the almshouse inclosure was erected for the use of the Boys' House of Refuge, but has recently by an act of the City Council been diverted to public school purposes.
SOCIETE FRANCAISE DE BIENFAISANCE ASYLUM -St. Ann, between North Derbigny and North Roman.
YOUNG MEN'S HOWARD ASSOCIATION -This benevolent institution was established in 1837; and its object is the relief of the indigent and sick. Its resources depend entirely upon public contributions—and appeals for aid have always been responded to with alacrity. During the prevalence of the epidemic of 1841, this society collected and distributed over five thousand dollars among the sufferers on that dreadful occasion. It is a noble charity that waits not for calls upon its benevolence; but its members seek for worthy objects in the hidden recesses of misery, and soothe and administer to their wants, with a brotherly solicitude that does honor to the name they have assumed.
There are also a House of Refuge for boys, established by the city authorities in 1848, and one for girls, established in 1853, as reformatories for boys and girls not over fifteen years of age.
As early as 1839 an institution for the reclamation of fallen women was established by the Sisters of Charity under the management of a Lady Superior and a corps of twenty assistants. In 1868, at which time its inmates numbered 130, the Sisters of Charity retired, and the house was taken in charge by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. The buildings, at the corner of Bienville and Broad streets, are of brick, and very extensive, comprising dormitories, working-rooms, chapel, etc. It is divided into two departments, one for girls who are placed there by their parents, and the other for those committed by the city magistrates. In addition to the household duties performed by the inmates they are employed in various kinds of needle-work, and in laundry work for private families, hotels and steamboats.
"ECCLESIASTICAL SQUARE". This comprises the group of schools, convents, churches and provincialate of the Redemptorist Order on or near the corner of Josephine and Constance Streets. There are the churches of St. Alphonsus and St. Mary's Assumption; the residence of the Redemptorist Fathers, who have built these churches, the Convent of Mercy, St. Alphonsus' Free Library, the school for colored children and other parochial schools and clubs.
| The District
| Sporting Houses
| The Girls
| Ernest Bellocq
| Bellocq's Women
| Storyville Portraits |
| Leo Bellocq | Blue Books | Maps | Pictorial Tour | The Transition | Jazz | Storyville Jazz | Sunday Sun News |
| Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments |
| © 1997-> storyvilledistrictnola -> Hosted by Network Solutions -> Protected by Copyscape |