#

The traveller reaching New Orleans by the Sea Route enters the Mississippi River by South Pass through the Jetties. (See Jetties.) At the Jetties is situated Eadsport (116 miles from New Orleans), and at this point are located'the works of the Jetty company. South Pass is ten miles long, very straight, and has a strong current.

Head of Passes. (106 miles from New Orleans.) At the head of the Passes or Delta, are located some works to force the current to flow into South Pass. The river at this point divides itself into three passes, forming the Delta of the Mississippi: Pass a route to the eastward; Southwest Pass to the westward, and between them South Pass, the land between the two outside passes and the sea deriving its name from its shape, resembling he Greek letter "Delta." Previous to the improvement of the South Pass all vessels, except those of very light draft, used the Southwest Pass. The ancient town of Balize, situated at the junction of Southeast and Northeast Passes, (branches of Pass a I'Outre,) so far inland, was at the time of its foundation by the Spaniards, directly on the seashore, but now the river has jettied far beyond.

Quarantine Station. (90 miles from New Orleans.) All vessels have to stop opposite the Quarantine Station for inspection.

The Forts. {12 miles from New Orleans.) On the left bank of the river, (right hand side going up stream,) is Fort St. Philip, a casemated work, and, opposite, on the other bank, Fort Jackson. In the month of April, 1862, Admiral Farragut attacked the forts and during the night, amidst a terrific storm of shot, passed the forts and captured New Orleans.

Buras Settlement. (68 miles from New Orleans.) The lands in this section are devoted to the orange culture, and on the west bank large orchards are seen.

Pointe-a-la-Hache. (45 miles from New Orleans.) The town of Pointe-a-la-Hache is a small place on the left bank of the river and derives its name from the bend of the river, making the point resemble the head of a hatchet, and the name is consequently translated as Hatchet Point.

Jesuits' Bend. (28 miles from New Orleans.) In Jesuits' Bend the plantations are large and very fertile, producing heavy crops of sugar and rice. Here it was that the Jesuits first planted the sugar cane in Louisiana.

English Turn. ( 15 miles from New Orleans.) Before reaching "the turn," as it is commonly called, on the left bank, are the splendid sugar plantations of Messrs. Milliken and Garr, and, on the right bank, the fine plantations called "Bellechasse" and "Concession."

The river at this place, Shingle Point, makes a sharp turn, and sailing vessels experience great difficulty in making headway here. The great number of sailing vessels wrecked here in former times gave the name of "the graveyard" to the willows on the left bank of the river. The name of "English Turn" or "Detour des Anglais" was given from the fact that a short time after the settlement of the country by the French, the English entered the river with several ships of war to take possession. They were informed that the French had already done so, and had a large force on hand, so they proceeded no further than this bend, but turned about and put to sea again in a hurry. After leaving the Turn, and going a few miles up, are the Chalmette Railroad terminals (left bank). On this spot the Battle of New Orleans was fought, Jan. 8, 1815. On the right bank the United States navy yard and floating dock, the second largest in the world. Proceeding up further, the Ursuline Convent on the left bank is a prominent building, and then the harbor of the city appears. Jackson Square is reached and at this place the steamer lands. Carriages and cabs are waiting. Cars, one block off, to Canal street (a half mile), fare 5 cents.

Leaving New Orleans
# #

#

Routes to New Orleans # Historical New Orleans Site Map
NEW ORLEANS GUIDE, With Descriptions of the Routes to New Orleans, Sights of the City Arranged Alphabetically, ans Other Information Useful to Travelers; Also, Outlines of the History of Louisiana, By Hon. James S. Zacharie, Second Vice President of the Louisiana Historical Society, Member of the City Council of New Orleans. F. F. Hansell & Bro., Ltd, New Orleans. 1893, 1902

#

New Orleans History
1897-1917


SITE MAP
[ The District | Sporting Houses | The Blue Book | Madams | The Girls | Ernest Bellocq | Bellocq's Women
| Leon Bellocq | Storyville History | Pictorial Tour | Storyville Transition | Maps | The Sunday Sun
| Jazz | Canal Street | Early Mansions | Early New Orleans | French Opera House | Engravings | Links | Comments ]
# Copyright © 1997->> storyvilledistrictnola.com Do not copy content from the page. Plagiarism will be detected by Copyscape. #