At Washington Street the car passes The H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College for Young Women. This is the female department of the Tulane University. The college occupies a whole square, the handsome central building facing on Washington Street was formerly known as the Burnside residence, having been the home of an eccentric millionaire of that name. It was built originally by James Robb. a great banker of ante-bellum days, in imitation of the country seat of an English nobleman. The house at one time contained a celebrated collection of pictures, including many paintings from the gallery of Prince Jerome Bonaparte, at Bordentown, N. J. These pictures were sold to local dealers some eight years ago. The upper story of this building was added after the purchase by the' University. The lower floor contains several rooms with the original frescoes.
The Sophie Newcomb
Memorial Room is worth a visit, if only to see the magnificent reflecting mirrors of old Moorish design, said to be the finest in the United States. This room also contains all the childhood souvenirs of Haryott Sophie Newcomb, who died at the age of 15, in 1866. She was an only child, and her mother, Mrs. Josephine Louise Newcomb, has commemorated her in this magnificent gift. Mrs. Newcomb first donated upward of $450,000 to the college, which she placed under the auspices of Tulane University; at her death, in 1900, she left her vast estate to the college. The grounds contain magnificent live oaks, a tennis court, and grouped around are the Newcomb High School, which is preparatory to the college, the art building, gymnasium, pottery building and chapel. The pottery building, which is directly opposite the Camp Street entrance to the college, has its own kiln, and the manufactures are all of Louisiana clay. In the art building is a rare collection of old paintings, and some quaint curios, among others illuminated missals from the fourteenth century. A marble statue of St. George, costing $5,000, adorns the art building. The beautiful little chapel, in which services are yearly held in memory of H. Sophie Newcomb, contains several handsome stained glass windows by Tiffany, among others a representation of the "Resurrection Morn," said to be the finest piece of work ever sent out by Tiffany, and which adorned the chapel exhibited by this company at the World's Exposition in Chicago, in 1893. The Newcomb library is constantly growing, and now numbers about 10,000 volumes. Opposite the college is the Newcomb dormitory, recently built and donated to the college by Mrs. Newcomb as a home for the students, and just around the corner stands the private residence of the generous donor, which, since her death, has been made an annex to the college dormitory.
At the corner of Chestnut and Louisiana Avenue is the Catholic Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, built in 1882.
The Cumberland Telephone Company has recently erected a handsome new building in the square bounded by Coliseum, Foucher, Camp and Chestnut.
At the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Magazine is the Louisiana Avenue Methodist Church, erected in 1896.
The Valence Street Baptist Church is on the corner of Valence and Magazine.
At No. 5116 Magazine, between Soniat and Dufossat Streets, is the Southern University, for the education of colored persons. Coeducation is in force here. The school is excellent and the instruction of an advanced character.
The handsome brown brick building embowered in foliage, on Magazine Street, between Leontine and Peters, is the
founded in 1817, through the liberality of Julian Poydras. The Asylum was the outgrowth of a peculiar and pathetic incident dating back to the year 1817, when an immigrant vessel came to New Orleans with cholera on board and twenty little children who had been rendered fatherless and motherless by the ravages of the terrible scourge while the vessel was at sea. A kind-hearted gentleman stated the circumstance to Mrs. M. A. Hunter, mother of the celebrated Commodore Hunter, and she at once sought to enlist the sympathies of other women in their behalf. She gathered the little waifs into a rented house, when Julian Poydras heard of their condition and donated, a home for them on the corner of Julia and St. Charles Streets, where the house known as the Spofford property stands. The property was subsequently leased out for a period of fifty years, and in 1905 it will revert to the Asylum.
Julian Poydras was a young Frenchman who came to New Orleans from San Domingo in the days of Governor Galvez. He was a poet and a scholar, but he was very poor. He was not ashamed, as the old traditions run, to carry a pack on his back, and furnished himself with a peddler's stock and traveled up the coast on foot all the way to St. Louis, thus beginning the commercial connections of the great Mississippi Valley. Out of his industry came wealth, honors, slaves, plantations and a colonial home. He is recalled in Creole traditions as a courtly gentleman, who always dressed in the Louis XV style. At his ancient villa, near where the Poydras market now stands, he entertained the most distinguished persons, among others the sons of Philip Bgalite, when they came to New Orleans. But it is also related of him that his villa was ever open to peddlers, and an old Creole chanson says that "no man with a pack on his back was ever turned from the door of Julian Poydras. In 1817 he founded the Poydras Asylum, erecting it out of his own means. He munificently endowed the Asylum at his death. In 1836 the present building was erected, at a cost of $90,000. It was first placed in the charge of the Sisters of Charity, but at his death the institution passed entirely under the control of the Presbyterian Directory, and the government was transferred to a Board of Lady Managers. The institution is beautifully kept. In the rear are extensive vegetable gardens, which supply the Asylum. Upon the walls of the reception room hang the pictures of Julian Poydras and Mrs. Hunter.
Parker Chapel is the small wooden church at the comer of Magazine and Peters Avenue.
The German Protestant Home is at the corner of Magazine and Eleonore.
The German Orphan Asylum is on State and Magazine.
Audubon Park is the site of the Cotton Centennial Exposition of 1884, and the Horticultural Hall, where many beautiful tropical palms and exotics bloom, is passed. The terminus of the line is at Carrollton avenue.
Returning, at No. 8043 Camp Street, the
or Asylum for Widows is passed. This asylum was founded through the bequest of Mr. John Fink, a wealthy but eccentric gentleman, who died some years ago. Mr. Fink was an old bachelor, and the story runs that in his youth he fell in love with a beautiful New Orleans girl, who rejected his suit, declaring that she did not believe in girls marrying. She told him that she thought that they should become old maids, and thus remain free to work out their own individual destinies. It is related that Mr. Fink pleaded and pleaded, but in vain. The lady remained firm. He therefore shut himself off entirely from the society of ladies, and at his death left a large sum of money to found the "Fink Home for Widows." Down at the end of his testament he added a special restrictive clause, forbidding the entrance into this Home of "any old maid, no matter how aged or dependent she was or necessitous her circumstances." He closed this singular testament with the words, "Let every old maid work out her own individual destiny." It was thus, the Faubourg Ste. Marie declared, Mr. Fink revenged himself upon the fair but cruel sweetheart of his youth.
At the corner of Camp and Foucher Streets is the Frank T. Howard School No. 2, recently erected by Mr. Howard at a cost of nearly $60,000 as a memorial to his mother.
At the corner of Camp and First Streets is a large old-fashioned brown mansion, surrounded by magnificent trees. This is the home of Judge Charles E. Fenner. It was in this house that Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States, died in November, 1889.
At No. 815 St Charles, near Julia, is the
Young Men's Christian Association
Building. This commodious structure was erected in 1805, partly through the liberality of Mr. J. H. Keller, a wealthy manufacturer. The reading-room, on the first floor, is free to the public. The members of the Association nave access to an excellent gymnasium, swimming tank and baths, the use of the parlors, dining-hall, etc. On the second floor is a large hall called the Helme Memorial Hall. An observatory on the roof affords a splendid view of the city.
Near the corner of St. Charles and Julia, Streets, in the beautiful cultivated garden spot on the river side of the street, there stood until 1902 the famous Church of the Messiah, which was erected by the Hebrew philanthropist, Judah P. Touro, in 1854, for the use of his friend, the celebrated Unitarian minister, Dr. Theodore Clapp, when the tatter's church was destroyed by fire after his secession from Presbyterianism. The church cost $60,000, and was a very curious piece of architecture. It was octagonal in form, and the aisles and clerestory gave it a pleasing effect. This church was sold in 1902, and from the proceeds of the sale the new edifice, corner of Dryades and Peters Avenue, was erected. The old church was demolished.
Between Julia and Girod Streets stands the
Washington Artillery Hall,
where the famous Washington Artillery has its headquarters. It was away back in 1838 that the "Native American Artillery" was organised in New Orleans. In 1841 it attached itself to the Washington Battalion, and in 1844 this battalion was augmented by the transfer from the Louisiana Legion of three companies, the Orleans Cadets, the Louisiana Grays and the Orleans Grenadiers. Francis A. Lumsdeny one of the founders and proprietors of the Picayune, was the Captain of the latter company. The battalion became known as the Washington Regiment, with General Persifer F. Smith as the commanding officer. In 1846, when the "Army of Occupation" under General Zachary Taylor, was dispatched to Texas, General Gaines, of the United States Army, Department of the South, issued a call for troops. The Washington Battalion responded and went to Mexico, near the Bio Grande. Shortly after the Mexican War the battalion adopted the name of the Washington Artillery When the Civil War broke out the battalion was among the first to respond. It was mustered into the service in Lafayette Square, and, marching to the old Christ Church, in Canal Street, received a flag, presented by the ladies of New Orleans, costing $1,000. Mr. Judah P. Benjamin made the presentation. The command fired the first gun at Bull Run and brought up the rear at Appomattox. After the collapse of the Southern cause, the survivors returned to their homes, but the tie of comradeship and the pride. of the old corps were too strong to be kept down. As it was the reconstruction era and the Confederate soldiers were not allowed to continue their military organization, the company took the name of a benevolent association, whose object was to care for the needy and to erect a monument to its dead. The handsome monument in Metairie Cemetery tells its own story. Before the war the company's arsenal was located on Girod Street, but this building was confiscated while the battalion was in the Confederate service. In 1875 the Battalion of the Washington Artillery was reorganized, and in 1880 Colonel John B. Richardson, who had been promoted to the command, succeeded in purchasing the present spacious arsenal. This hall was erected in 1872 as an exposition building, to afford a permanent place for the exhibition of all the manufactured articles used in the South. The building has a frontage of 86 feet and a depth of 341. The ballroom, on the second floor, in which the Rex balls are given, is 200 feet long. The arsenal contains some valuable relics of the Mexican and Civil Wars. Among the latter are the magnificent flag, on which are the names of the sixty battles in which the command participated, and a famous painting by Julio, valued at $5,000. It represents the last meeting of Robert Lee and Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville. The catafalque upon which the remains of Jefferson Davis were borne to the grave occupies a conspicuous place in the arsenal.
Soule's Commercial College is at the corner of St. Charles and Lafayette Streets. The college was founded in 1856, and occupies a leading place among the educational institutions of the city. The handsome new building, erected in 1902, occupies the site of an ancient structure which was one of the landmarks of the American quarter.
Thence to Canal Street the car passes directly in front of the City Hall, the magnificent mansion of the well-known public benefactor, Mr. Frank T. Howard, which adjoins it, business houses and theatres, the St. Charles Hotel, and railroad offices, and, turning from St Charles into Canal Street, passes the Crescent Billiard Hall, a retort celebrated for the past forty years.
Tchoupitoulas is mainly a business street, and the best way to see it is to take the car which runs up the street from Canal to Audubon Park. The lower part of the street nearest Canal is lined with immense groceries and warehouses. Further up are a number of foundries and metal working establishments. Throughout the route glimpses may be caught from time to time of shipping lying alongside the wharves.
The shot tower is at the corner of St Joseph Street It is the highest tower in the city.
The heart of the cotton press district is next passed.
Near Louisiana Avenue are several grain elevators.
The Stuyvesant Docks are on the river front, between Delachaise and Voucher Streets, and are of great interest. The elevator is of gigantic size. A very elaborate system of grain carriers and railway terminals exist. The elevator has a capacity of 1,000,000 bushels, or about 1.200 cars. If coupled together these cars would make a chain eight miles long. The elevator can unload 250 cars a day* and at the same time deliver, through an unequaled system of conveyors, to four steamships at once. It is the largest, the best-equipped and busiest elevator in the United States, In addition to the other facilities, There are wharves 1,500 feet in length.
The Annunciation Street car follows the line of the Coliseum car, from Canal as far as Erato Street. It diverges there to Annunciation. It will take the visitor through a picturesque part of town. . In the vicinity of Annunciation Square it 'passes through the cotton, press district, where, in the season, thousands of bales of the fleecy staple are pressed and stored. Long rows of bales may be seen banked along the sidewalk. The dull rumble of the presses is constantly heard. If the visitor has never seen the presses in operation, it will be well for him to visit one of the yards, where he will willingly be admitted to see its wonders.
St. Simeons occupies "the line old colonial building' occupying the entire square on Annunciation, near Erato Street. It is in charge of the Sisters of Charity."
A detour is made around Annunciation Square. This square was presented to the city by a private citizen. On the woods side is the beautiful residence of the late B. J. Hart.
Just opposite Annunciation Square, on the river side, are St. Michael's Church, presbytery and parochial schools.
At the corner of Orange and Annunciation the visitor will notice an old-fashioned wooden residence, with pillared veranda and dormer windows. This was formerly the Stanley residence.
Mr. Stanley was a cotton merchant of a charitable disposition. He adopted Henry M. Stanley, the famous, explorer, who at that time was a destitute orphan. Stanley's name was assumed by the boy in lieu of his own, which was originally John Rowlands.
Clay Square is on Annunciation, between Second and Third Streets.
Peters Avenue and Dryades.
These cars, which' start on Canal, near the river, traverse the least attractive part of the city. Going up town, the route is through South Rampart and South Liberty Streets. Above Louisiana Avenue, where the car enters Dryades Street, and in Peters Avenue, there will be noticed indications of the rapid growth of the city. A few years ago these two streets boasted very few residences of any sort; now they are being rapidly built up, and within a brief period will be numbered among the most attractive in the city.
At the corner of Peters Avenue and Dryades Street is the new
This building was erected in 1902, and represents the congregation founded by Dr. Theodore Clapp when he seceded from the Presbyterian Church in 1833, and carried the bulk of his congregation and the church property with him. The history of this congregation has already been referred to, as also the old church edifice which stood for so many years near the corner of St. Charles and Julia Streets; from the proceeds of the sale was erected the present building. Though much smaller than the old church, it is better adapted to the needs of the Unitarian congregation.
At the corner of Peters Avenue and South Rampart stands the Isidore Newman Manual Training" School, the gift of a philanthropic citizen of that name to the Jewish Widows and Orphans Home Association for the manual training of the orphans in the Jewish Home.
The cars stop at the upper station, corner of Arabella and Magazine, within sight of the huge rectangular brick building, the Louisiana Retreat, an insane asylum conducted by the Sisters of Charity. This building stands at the corner of Henry Clay Avenue and Coliseum, and is visible from all the street car lines which run to the Audubon Park.
Returning, St. Mary's Dominican Convent, at No. 1107 Dryades Street, and the Turnverein Hall, at No. 116 Clio, are passed.
At the corner of Calliope is the handsome Church of St. John the Baptist. This is a Catholic Church; it stands between the Dominican Convent and St. John Parochial School and Presbytery.
At Howard Avenue the car passes within sight of the Illinois Central Passenger Station and the head of the New Basin Canal. This canal, by the way, is exceedingly picturesque, filled almost all the time with schooners, and lined with sawmills and wood yards.
At the corner of Lafayette and Dryades is a building of large proportions and obviously once of aristocratic appearance. It was formerly the Turners' Hall, but long ago was abandoned by that organization, being subsequently used as a manual training school by Tulane University, and more recently by a manufacturer of tinware.
Other points of interest are the Poydras Market and the office of the State Medical Society, and the New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal, over the way.The Picayune's Guide to New Orleans, 1904