On Camp, between Julia and St. Joseph, is the Naval Brigade Armory, a handsome structure recently erected at a cost of $20,000.
The Confederate Memorial Hall
occupies the grassy mound near the corner of Howard Avenue and Camp Street. It was presented to the city by Mr. Frank T. Howard, a philanthropic citizen. The hall is a neat structure of pressed brick, now overgrown in many places by creeping vines. The interior is finished in hard woods, and contains a magnificent collection of relics of the Civil War. Among the more interesting may be mentioned the uniform and sword of General J. JB. Hood, the saddle of General Bragg, the cradle and library of Jefferson Davis, portraits of Confederate Generals, etc. Washington's telescope is in one of the cases in the center of the hall.
Shortly after the death of Miss Winnie Davis her mother placed in Memorial Hall the most precious souvenirs that she possessed of her lamented daughter. Among these are all the childhood toys and school books, and paintings of the "Daughter of the Confederacy," her robe and crown and sceptre when she was Queen of Comus in New Orleans in 1892, and the badges presented to her by the various camps. Mrs. Davis also sent many personal souvenirs of Mr. Davis, among others all the important documents of the Confederacy in her possession, and the last suit of clothes and hat worn by Mr. Davis.
The cannon in front of the hall is the "Lady Slocomb," an J was used at Mobile in the Civil War. The building is used by the camps of the United Confederate Veterans as a meeting place.
The Howard Memorial Library
is a beautiful structure, erected in 1887 by Mrs. Annie Howard Parrot, as a memorial to her father, the late Charles T. Howard. The interior is finished in polished woods. The reading-room is circular in shape, exquisitely paneled, with carved rafters and ornamented in an extremely beautiful manner. The library contains about 35,000 books, including many extremely rare volumes. There is a collection of works bearing on the history of Louisiana, the like of which can nowhere else be found. Among the treasures of the library are copies of almost all the original works of Audubon, man> of which are now very difficult to find. The collection of early maps of America is unique and very valuable. Mr. William Beer, the librarian, is always pleased to exhibit his treasures.
Two squares further on the car turns into Prytania Street. This is one of the most beautiful residence sections in New Orleans. In the triangular-shaped square which marks the entrance to the street stands a monument from which looks down a woman with a little child at her side. This is
and the statue is that of Margaret Haughery, the humble baker woman who toiled all the long years of her life for the support and maintenance of the little orphans of this city. She erected the asylum that faces the square, St. Vincent's Infant Asylum, at the corner of Race and Magazine Streets, helped to build St. Elizabeth's Industrial Home for Girls and gave everywhere and to every needy child. Her small bakery grew through her exertions into an immense steam bakery, right in the center of the business life of the city, and she became a great factor in that life. Everyone, from the banker to the newsboy, would salute her as she sat at the door of her office of a morning, for everyone honored and respected her. They knew the great golden heart that lay beneath her plain and simple garb. She had never learned to read and write, and yet she died as no woman in New Orleans ever before had died, giving away thousands of dollars to the poor little orphans of the city.. A simple "Margaret Haughery (her mark)" was the signature to her will. No orphan asylum was forgotten, Jew and Protestant and Catholic were all remembered, for "they are all orphans alike," said Margaret, "and I was once an orphan myself." She had a funeral such as no woman in New Orleans had ever had, And almost before anyone could ever exactly tell how it began, the idea of a monument seemed to be in every mind. The ladies of New Orleans met and undertook to raise the money, and one morning, almost before the people of New Orleans, whom her presence had ennobled, and the little orphans whom she loved so well could realize it, they woke up to see their good friend Margaret sitting just as she used to do in life, in the same old chair apparently, in her old familiar dress, in the grassy plot in the square where she used to watch the orphans playing, in front of the home which she had built for them; and around . her shoulders the ladies had thrown, not the old shawl that she used to wear every day, but "the state occasion shawl," as Margaret used to call it, and which had been crocheted for her by the little 6-year-old tots of St. Vincent's Infants' Home. The City Council, by a special act, called the spot "Margaret Place." The monument is the first ever erected to a woman in the United States.
The asylum overlooking the place is called the "New Orleans Female Orphan Asylum." It was first founded in 1850 as a home to which the children from St. Vincent's Infant Asylum may be transferred and educated, and these in turn, as they grow older, are sent for special training in womanly work and art to St. Elizabeth's Asylum.
St. Anna's Asylum,
is a handsome stuccoed structure at the corner of St. Mary and Prytania Streets. It was founded by Dr. Mercer, in memory of his only daughter, Anna, as a retreat for poor gentlewomen, and was well endowed by him.
It is impossible to point out all the handsome houses on Prytania Street, which thence on is principally a residence street, but several may be particularly mentioned. At the corner of First and Prytania stands the mansion formerly occupied by Bradish Johnson, and now owned by Mr. W. D. Denegre. It is a rare specimen of Southern architecture. At the corner of Prytania and Second Is the home of Mrs. Ida Richardson, surrounded by grounds exquisitely kept and filled with the rarest order of tropical vegetation, including many palms from far Eastern climes. The hothouses are considered the most beautiful in the South.
At Washington Street the car runs between the Washington Street Cemetery on the one hand and the
Southern Athletic Club
on the other. This Club was one of the first founded in the South for the promotion of athletics and amateur sports. It has a large membership among the best classes. It belongs to the National Amateur Athletic Union. The clubhouse is of wood, the interior being finished in hard native woods. The gymnasium is 120x77 feet, and is fully equipped with every appliance for athletic training. There are hot and cold baths, a swimming pool, boxing and fencing rooms. Turkish and Russian baths, etc. In 1889 Kilrain trained at this Club for his fight with Sullivan at Richburg, Miss., and in 1892 Corbett trained here for his celebrated battle with Sullivan. It was to this clubhouse that Corbett returned after the fight, to receive the congratulations of his admirers. The visitors' book contains the autographs of many celebrities of the sporting world.
an admirable institution sustained by the Jews of the city, and managed by the Touro Infirmary and Hebrew Benevolent Association, occupies a square on Prytania Street, between Delachaise and Aline. The Association undertook the management and enlargement of Judah Touro's bequest for the relief of the suffering and needy of New Orleans. The original hospital was in the cotton press district, at the corner of Gaiennie and South Peters Streets, but when the city grew away from this section the Association decided to build a model hospital uptown, about twenty-seven years ago. Subsequently the management made many improvements, and a debt of $20,000 was incurred. To relieve this burden a great fair was given, in February, 1895. The entire South contributed liberally, and the magnificent sum of $60,000, net profits. was realized. This enabled the management to carry out many cherished plans for the further improvement of the infirmary. The hospital is built on the pavilion plan, amid lawns and gardens beautifully kept. It has free clinics, and all nationalities and creeds are admitted to their benefits. The hospital has accommodations for about 400 patients. Recently the Infirmary management decided to still further extend its facilities, and a new and more modern hospital building is contemplated.
Within the grounds stands a magnificent fountain, erected at a cost of $500, by the little Jewish children of New Orleans. On the same grounds as the infirmary was built, in 1899, at a cost of $35,000, the handsome three-storied brick, structure known as the Julius Weis Home for the Aged.
It was the generous gift of the philanthropic Hebrew whose name it bears. The Touro Infirmary Training School for Nurses is located in this building.
In the block above Touro Infirmary is the Home for the Aged and Infirm, conducted by the Little Sisters of the Poor. This is the uptown branch of the noble institution, corner of North Johnson and Laharpe Streets, in the French quarter. Between the two institutions nearly 600 old men and women, every one of whom is over 60 years of age, are cared for. Both houses are well worth a visit.
The car now passes* through a section full of small and pretty houses set in gardens end shaded by trees. The line terminates at Audubon Park.
Upper Camp, for the purpose of this Guide, comprehends that section of the thoroughfare lying above Calliope Street. The Magazine car will take the tourist up Camp as far as Calliope, and thence through Upper to Old Camp, to Louisiana Avenue, to Laurel Street, and thence to Audubon Park.
Beginning at Calliope Street, the visitor's attention is drawn to the handsome stone church occupied by the Episcopalian congregation of St. Paul's. It stands at the corner of Camp and Galennie Streets.
St. Paul's Church
was erected in 1893, on the site of an older structure, which was destroyed by fire a year or so before. The interior of the church is very beautiful. Its most remarkable feature is its tower, which is a reproduction of a famous structure at Oxford, England. The church is expensively finished with pavements and wainscot of colored marbles, and has a pleasing interior. This building was erected under the efficient management of the late Rev. H. H. Waters, who was for twenty-seven years in charge of the congregation. This church has a fine surpliced choir of boys and makes strangers welcome at its services.
The asphalted walk in the center of the street, bordered with grass plots and shaded with small trees, is called Margaret Walk, in memory of Margaret Haughery.
At the corner of Camp and Erato is St. Theresa's Church, a quaint specimen of Dutch architecture.
The car then skirts
a large, irregular park, almost a half a mile long, and beautifully laid out and shaded with trees. It is a great playground for children and a fashionable promenade in summer.
At the corner of Camp and Terpsichore is the Coliseum Place Baptist Church, one of the oldest worshiping places of that denomination in the city.
Miss Sophie B. Wright's Free Night School for Boys is at the corner of Camp and Race.
The Felicity Street Methodist Church, plainly visible from the cars, is at the corner of Felicity and Chestnut Streets. It is a handsome brick structure and stands upon the site formerly occupied by a stately edifice of brick, which was built about 1850, in the Grecian style, and which was burned about eleven years ago.
At Felicity Street Camp divides; one branch retains the name of Camp, running uptown, and the other continues for two blocks, and intersects at St. Andrew Street with Magazine. The latter Branch is called Old Camp. The Magazine car runs through Old Camp and turns into Magazine just beyond the. lower Magazine Market. This market is smaller than the French market, and not so interesting.
The visitor will do well to leave the car at St. Andrew Street and visit the
This comprises the group of schools, convents, churches and provincialate of the Redemptorist Order on or near the corner of Josephine and Constance Streets. There are the churches of St. Alphonsus and St. Mary's Assumption; the residence of the Reformptorist Fathers, who have built these churches, the Cod rent of Mercy, St. Alphonsus' Free Library, the school for colored children and other parochial schools and clubs.
St. Alphonsus' Church is on Constance Street, between St. Andrew and Josephine. It is of pure Renaissance architecture, with two towers, the steeples of which have never been completed. Over the main door, in a niche, is a statue of St. Alphonsus,, to whom the church is dedicated. The edifice has a seating capacity of 1,200. It was began in 1856 and dedicated in 1868. The visitor is struck immediately upon entering, by the profusion of ornamentation and the beautiful frescoes on which the painter and the gilder have exhausted the resources of their art The main altar cost $8,000. Over this altar is a very beautiful painting of St. Alphonsus, the work of a Roman artist. The large building used for the parish school, library, etc., stands in the open area on the downtown side of the church. The building cost $100,000, exclusive of its artistic embellishments.
St. Mary's Assumption Church is on Josephine, between Constance and Laurel Streets. The belfry is 190 feet high, and is considered very beautiful. It stands in the courtyard, near the side door of the church. The church is Renaissance in style, with ' an exterior the plainness of which contrasts well with the highly ornamental interior. The ceiling is covered with stucco traceries. The main altar, designed and executed in Munich, cost $10,000 and is considered one of the handsomest in America. The stained glass windows are very expensive and beautiful. The pulpit is hung in a remarkable Way.
The Convent of the Sisters of Mercy, on St. Andrew, between Magazine and Constance, was erected in 1858. Attached to the convent is a Boarding Home for Working Women, an orphanage and a Home of Mercy, where any poor woman may find shelter and food till she can obtain employment.
Upper Magazine Street.
On Magazine, between Jackson Avenue and Philip, stands the second oldest Presbyterian Church in the city — the Lafayette Church, built in 1843. For over half a century Rev. Dr. Thos. R. Markham. who was a great Confederate chaplain, was the rector. He was buried from this church. His monument is in Metairie Cemetery.
On Magazine, between Washington Avenue and Sixth Street, is a building known formerly as the Garden District Theatre, now owned and occupied by the First Baptist Church.
At the corner of Seventh and Magazine Streets is the upper Pythian Hall, built about 1893 for the use of the Knights of Pythias.
On Magazine, between Seventh and Eighth Streets, is a handsome brick structure, about which the vines clamber, suggesting peace and content. This is the Seventh Street Protestant Orphans' Home; it is under the management of a board of lady directors, and is ably conducted.
The Ninth Street Market stands at the corner of Ninth and Magazine.
At Louisiana Avenue the car leaves Magazine and runs out to Laurel. It proceeds up Laurel to the Audubon .Park, stopping near the entrance to the Horticultural Hall. This is the best line to take to reach the port.
The German Protestant Home for the Aged and Infirm is at No. 5919 Magazine. At No. 6126 will be found the Monastery of the Poor Clares. This is a cloistered community of nuns, similar to the Discalced Carmelite Nuns, whose home is in the old French quarter.
Adjoining the monastery on Henry Clay Avenue is the Home for Incurables. Three years ago the Louisiana Kings' Daughters undertook, through the offering of a cent a day for blessings received, to build an annex to the Home. The sum of $10,000 has been raised through these "blessing boxes." The new edifice will be erected during the year and will serve as the Ad- ministration Building of the Home.
In returning by the Magazine line, St. Vincent's Infant Asylum, "Margaret's Baby House." is passed. This interesting institution is at the corner of Magazine and Race Streets. It is in charge of the Sisters of Charity. It is the foundling asylum of the city, and contains at almost all times at least 200 children, infants in arms or babies just beginning to walk. No little motherless or abandoned babe is ever refused admittance here. The neatness, order and general perfection of the management are often commented upon admiringly. One of the most interesting features of the Asylum is the perfectly equipped kindergarten and the nursery, where several hundred little tots play about the floor or sleep in the pretty white-curtained beds, all unconscious of what life has in store for them. In the pretty parlor on the first floor is a picture of Margaret holding a babe in her arms. The memory of this gentle mother of the orphans is very fragrant in the Asylum.
The lower portion of Magazine Street is occupied largely by factories or wholesale grocery and produce stores.
The Maginnis Cotton Mills, which were incorporated in 1881, are on the corner of Annunciation and Calliope Streets, and their warehouse is at the corner of Magazine and Lafayette Streets. Originally the mills had 15,360 spindles and 360 looms, making sheeting, shirtings, drills and osnaburgs. The ready market for its product resulted in an enlargement of the plant in 1888, when the most modern English machinery was purchased, increasing the capacity of the mills three-fold. Even greater improvements have been made since then, and there are now over 40,000 spindles and nearly 1,500 looms in operation. These are kept going the year round, giving employment to over 1,000 people, many of whom are girls. The mill's output finds a ready market from Boston to San Francisco, from Chicago to Texas, and certain grades are shipped to China.
The Board of Trade has an entrance through the archway of Magazine Street, between Natchez Alley and Gravier Street. The archway passes through a three-story brick building, formerly known as the St. James Hotel. The rotunda of this hotel was, before the War, the principal slave mart in the city. The building is now occupied by offices.
The main office of the Southern Pacific Railroad is in the large gray building, with massive Greek portico, at the corner of Natchez Alley and Magazine Street.The Picayune's Guide to New Orleans, 1904