At the Lee Monument the cars turn into St. Charles Avenue, which is a continuation of St. Charles Street. Here the street broadens out; there are double drives and a neutral ground, and the avenue is said to be one of the finest in America. The cars traverse the thoroughfare from the Circle to Carrollton Avenue, continuing out Carrollton Avenue to its intersection with Tulane Avenue, through which they return to Canal Street, thus forming "the St. Charles Belt." The "Tulane Belt" cars traverse the same route in the opposite direction. This line, which was recently absorbed by the New Orleans Street Railways Company, was built in 1833, and was the first line of horse railroads in the United States. The cars were then two-storied, the upper deck being covered with a canvas in the summer time. The upper story was reached by a staircase. There was a great deal of life and excitement about this second story, and many old residents declare that the two-storied cars were much pleasanter than the cars of the present day, as the breezes were cooler and fresher aloft.
At the corner of Calliope Street and St. Charles Avenue is the Northern Methodist Church, founded just after the Civil War by Bishop J. P. Newman. It was here that Gen. Grant worshipped while in New Orleans.
The Young Men's Hebrew Association occupies the stately structure at the corner of the Avenue and Clio Street. The building" was erected in 1896. It contains a public hall called the Athenaeum where concerts, theatricals, and balls are often given.
At the corner of Jackson and St. Charles Avenues is the Harmony Club. The clubhouse is of white marble, and was erected in 1896.
The club virtually dates from 1802 having been formed by merging together the "Deutscher. Company" and "The Young Bachelors' Club," organized about 1856. Its membership is mainly among the wealthy and refined Hebrews of the city.
Along the line of this demarcation are many of the handsomest private residences in New Orleans, the beautiful open gardens and palms giving this section the title of "Garden District."
The First German Church is on St. Charles, corner of St. Andrew.
The beautiful Whitney residence is at No. 2233 St. Charles.
The mansion at No. 2508 St. Charles is not only a handsome specimen of a Southern home, but was the residence of E. Richardson, the most celebrated cotton merchant of his time. He was known as "the Cotton King." It is now the home of Prank P. Hayne.
At No. 2618 is the residence of the late A. C. Hutchinson, who left a fortune of upwards of a million dollars. He made several large bequests to charitable institutions, and left about $700,000 for the extension of the work of the Tulane Medical College. He bequeathed his beautiful home, with its many art treasures, to his friend, Mr. J. P. Blair.
There has recently been a revival, along the Avenue, of the old colonial style of architecture whose stately columns and general classic effects have added much to the beauty of the thoroughfare. Notable types are the T. J. McCarthy and the remodeled Blair residences.
At the corner of Third and St. Charles Avenue is the house where resided John A. Morris, famous as the head of the Louisiana State Lottery Company.
Christ Church Cathedral
is the fine brick and stucco edifice at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Sixth Street. This church represents the pioneer Protestant organization of the Southwest. It was organized in January, 1805. At this date the Protestant tabulation of New Orleans was so small and belonged to so many denominations that it was found impossible to build churches to accommodate each unto itself. A meeting was, therefore, called of all the Protestants, and it was decided that a church be erected. The decision as to what denomination the church should belong was settled by lot. The Episcopalians won, the church was built, and all Protestants united in their house of worship. The church was originally attached to the Diocese of New York. It stood at the corner of Canal and Bourbon Streets. In 1847, as the old church was found to be too small, a new one was erected, at the corner of Dauphine and Canal Streets, at a cost of $50,000. In 1886 this church was sold and the congregation moved to the present beautiful edifice. The interior is very handsomely frescoed. The stained-glass windows include memorials to the Slocomb family and the late Bishop Galleher. The entrance to the lower floor of the tower contains old tablets of the former wardens. Christ Church is the pro-cathedral of the Diocese, and the dean acts as rector. The residence of the bishop, Rt. Rev. D. Sessums, adjoins the Cathedral, with which it communicates through vine-grown cloisters. The dean's residence is in the rear of the church in Sixth Street.
Adjoining the church is the J. L. Harris Memorial Chapel, erected by Mrs. J. L. Harris in memory of her husband.
At 3607 is the gray stone Newman residence.
At the corner of General Taylor and St. Charles is the Rayne Memorial Methodist Church, erected by Mr. Rayne, a wealthy citizen, at a cost of $50,000, in memory of his son, who was killed at the battle of Shiloh.
The beautiful Southern colonial-looking structure on St. Charles, between Jena and Cadiz, is the Academy of the Ladies of the Sacred Heart, a boarding school for young ladies.
At the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Valence Street is the palatial home erected recently at a cost of $150,000 by W. P. Brown, who became famous in the great Bull Cotton Campaign of 1903.
St. George s Episcopal Church is at the corner of St. Charles and Cadiz Street.
The Asylum for Destitute Boys is the large brick building between Dufossat and Valmont streets.
Between Leontine and Peters is the New Orleans University, a well equipped institution for the education of colored youth.
At the corner of Peters Avenue and St. Charles is the commodious
Jewish Orphans' Home,
which was erected and is maintained through the generosity of the Jews of the city. The home was founded in 1855. The present building was erected in 1880, and is one of the best regulated orphanages in the city. The nursery and kindergarten departments are particularly interesting. In the yard is a magnificent fountain built by the wealthy Jewish children of the city as an offering to their less fortunate sisters and brothers. The children of this asylum are admirably equipped,, educationally and otherwise for their future duties in life.
At 5705 St. Charles Avenue is the home of Mr. Lawrence-Fabacher, on the grounds of which stands his private Casino, also one of the finest hot houses in the South.
A block or two from St. Charles, is seen the Shakespeare Almshouse, where the penniless and decrepit poor may find a refuge. It was built by Mayor Shakespeare tea or twelve years ago. The large brick building in the almshouse inclosure was erected for the use of the Boys' House of Refuge, but has recently by an act of the City Council been diverted to public school purposes.
Two squares this side of Audubon Park, is Palmer avenue, so named in honor of Dr. Palmer, the noted Presbyterian divine who resided in this street. His family still reside in the old home. The avenue which was formerly a section of Henry Clay avenue, is one of the most beautiful and picturesque residence streets in New Orleans.
which is to the residents of the American section of New Orleans what the City Park is to the French quarter. The entrance to the park in St. Charles avenue leads. the visitor over an immense tract upon which magnificent live oaks were sacrificed in 1884, to admit of the erection of the buildings of the World's Cotton Centennial Exposition. The park is a beautiful spot and covers 280 acres. It was originally the plantation of the French patriot, Masson, who in 1768 was condemned to ten years' imprisonment in Moro Castle for resisting the cession of the colony to Spain. The plantation was subsequently owned by Etienne de Bore' the first great sugar planter of Louisiana, and grandfather of the historian, Charles Gayarre. It was on this land that Mr. De Bore succeeded in introducing the permanent manufacture of sugar into New Orleans, and raised the first commercially profitable crop of sugar ever grown in the South. Just above this historic plantation was that of Pierre Foucher, a son-in-law of M. De Bore. The entire property finally fell into the hands of the Marquis de Circe Foucher, by whose heirs the present site of Audubon Park was sold to the city. The land was allowed to lie unimproved till the Cotton Centennial Exposition, when the managers of that enterprise greatly beautified the spot. All the Exposition buildings were removed except the Horticultural Hall, which still stands. In 1866 the park was placed under the control of a Commission, which is devoting itself to beautifying the grounds, planting trees to replace those that were cut down, etc. The Horticultural Hall is over 300 feet long and contains a remarkable collection of rare plants, tropical palms and exotics. It is perhaps the largest greenhouse in existence. The section of the park lying between Magazine Street and the river is kept in perfect order. The task of improving the rest of the park is progressing slowly. The live oaks are very fine, especially the long avenue in front of and behind the Hall. The single magnificent specimen standing in solitary majesty beside the lake is called the "George Washington" oak. The park is reached by several lines of cars, the most convenient of which are the Coliseum and the Magazine. In summer time a band plays on alternate evenings in a stand under the oaks near the Horticultural Hall. The park is a favorite resort at all times of the year, especially for children.
In the vicinity on St. Charles Avenue are Audubon Place and Rosa Park, which are beautiful private residence sections.
The handsome colonial-looking residence with the stately white portico at 5809 St. Charles Avenue is the home of Mr. Nicholas Burke. It is a beautiful type of pure Southern architecture. Nearly opposite the entrance to Audubon Park is the beautiful little Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, which is under the direction of the Jesuit Fathers. Around the corner at No. 1930 Calhoun Street, is the convent and school of the Sisters of Notre Dame, who also conduct the parochial school of St. John Berchmans, attached to the church.
Adjoining the church grounds are the extensive buildings of The
of Louisiana. The University was founded through the generosity of Paul Tulane, a wealthy merchant, who, at his death, left a bequest of over $1,000,000 for this purpose. The University has since received other bequests; among recent donations are those of Mrs. F. W. Tilton, who gave $50,000 to erect the Library Building, and the munificent bequests of the late A. C. Hutchinson. The buildings contain University and Collegiate Departments, both for men and women, and Law, Medical and Technical Schools. The Medical Building is in Canal Street, and is called the Richardson Memorial. In the Arts and Science Building is a copy of "Tripitka," presented to the University by the King of Siam.
Leland University, for colored males, occupies the square on the avenue between Audubon and Walnut.
St. Mary's Dominican Convent is on the avenue, between Broadway and Pine.
Beyond the University, where St. Charles Avenue has, properly speaking, its head, there formerly ran beautiful road called Naiads Street. The grounds were handsomely laid out and were called the Carrollton Gardens; there was a restaurant where General Boulanger and Thackeray were both entertained on their visits to New Orleans. Some years ago it was found advisable to build a Levee through the gardens, and the old restaurant was dismantled and sold.
The car here turns out Carrollton Avenue to Jeannette Street, the way being through a very choice residence portion.
All this section of New Orleans was formerly the municipality of
and still bears the ancient name. It was separated by long uninhabited spaces from the nearest city of Jefferson. Carrollton was in early days a plantation and was the property of the brave patriot, Lafreniere, who with his six associate leaders of the Revolution of 1768, was shot in Jackson Square by order of the Spanish Governor O'Reilly. The plantation subsequently, became the property of Mile. DeMacarty, who was the famous "bas bleu" of colonial days in New Orleans. She belonged to the school of "Les Dames Precieuses," so amusingly caricatured by Moliere in his "Precieuses Ridicules." She was very brilliant, and declared a thousand times that she had never yet met a man who could please her and was determined to die in single blessedness. She managed her vast estates with masculine ability and her name has come down as the historical "Vielle Fille," or old maid of the Faubourg. All traces of the old plantation have long since passed away.
At 602 Carrollton Avenue is St. Andrew's Episcopal Church.
On the corner of Coliseum and Jackson is
Trinity is an Episcopal Church, and so many of its rectors have passed from this parish to the bishopric that it is often called "The Church of the Archbishops." It is of Gothic architecture. The congregation was organized in 1847. The present structure dates from 1851, and was built at a cost of $22,500. Bishop Polk was called to take charge of the parish in 1855. He left it during the Civil War to become a Major General in the Confederate service, and after serving gallantly was shot and killed while out with a reconnoitering party on Pine Mountain, near Marietta, Georgia, June 14, 1864. A beautiful stained-glass window has been erected to his memory and contains scenes from the life of the Savior - the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and the Ascension. In 1865 Dr. J. W. Beckwith, afterwards Bishop of Georgia, became rector. During his incumbency the church was extended and improved at a cost of $25,000. In 1868 Her. J. N. Galleher, afterward Bishop of Louisiana, became rector. He was succeeded by the Kiev. S. S. Harris, afterwards Bishop of Michigan. In 1873 the front of the church was remodelled at a cost of $16,000 . Dr. Hugh Miller Thompson, the late Bishop of Mississippi, was the next rector. The present rector is Dr. Beverly Warner. Trinity is reputed to have the best choir among the Protestant Churches in the city.
The late Ambassador Eustis, when in town, resided in the handsome red brick house, with the wide verandas, on the corner opposite Trinity Church.
The little French Church of Notre Dame de Bons Secours is on Jackson Street near Constance.
Near the corner of Jackson and Chippewa stands the
(Protestant Episcopal), an admirable asylum conducted under the auspices of the Episcopal, diocese, of Louisiana. It is a home for orphan girls, but also receives small boys. The institution is in charge of the Sisters of Bethany, a local diocesan organization of the Episcopal faith. It is well worth a visit. The chapel is very pretty, and the children's festivals, especially at Easter and Christmastide, are very beautiful.
Directly across the street is McDonogh High School No. 2, a brick building originally erected for the Jewish Orphans' Home, but purchased by the city seven or eight years ago for use as a public high school for the girls of the upper districts.
On St. Thomas, near Jackson Avenue, is the Seamen's Bethel. St. Vincent's Haven for Seamen is on Tchoupitoulas, near Josephine.
St. Elizabeth's Industrial Home for Girls in charge of the Sisters of Charity is at the corner of Prytania and Napoleon Avenue. The home is the climax in a trinity of institutions, under the charge of this sisterhood in New Orleans.
From the Infant Asylum, at Race and Magazine Streets, the children pass to St. Theresa's Asylum in Camp Street, where they are given a good common school education. Thence they graduate into this industrial home, where they are trained for active work by which they may become self-supporting in the world without. St. Elizabeth's is noted for its schools of needlework, the products of which are in great demand throughout the country. Among its graduates have been many wonderfully expert needlewomen.
At the corner of Camp and Napoleon Avenue, is St. Stephen's Church, a handsome edifice in brick. It has been in course of construction for some years and still lacks the steeple. The interior is not yet completed, but for the past ten years services have been held in the edifice. The pictures over the altar represent the martyrdom of St. Stephen.